Scene 7 - Mysteron Presence

The road leading to the danger area is now gridlocked from halted traffic. There can't turn around, cut through, nor go ahead. Panic begins with the crowd, as the presenter begins to broadcast the news.

Presenter:

Well folks, it looks as though as there has been a disaster after all. One of the legs holding up the foundation of the bridge has begun to crumble. Sources state that there is now one car trapped along some railings, and the rest of the traffic has now piled up from behind!

Brains and the Minister are separated from the broadcast. The MP is consulting "Mr. Hackenbacker".

Minister:

This is terrible. Decades of work has gone into this, and now it has been ruined! We can't do anything to help those people now. The emergency services could never reach those people with the bridge in that crippling state!

Brains:

Well... errm, M-Minister, I m-might have an idea.

Minister:

Yes? Yes? And?

Brains:

Well, perhaps we should call, International Rescue.

Minister:

International Rescue! Mr. Hackenbacker, you are a genius! If we contact them on the television, my guess is somehow they'll pick up the call.

The bridge is beginning to worsen its infrastructure. KABOOM! POW! The baby continues crying.

Ellie:

We've got to do something. We can't just sit here.

Sanders:

Honey, if we upset the balance of this bridge, even by a small weight, we would go toppling down to the bottom.

He turns the radio on to hear the panic of the people and the newscaster.

Presenter:

Anyone who is around the surrounding area is being cleared off, and the police are sending in roadblocks nearby. But we will be staying here at the site to bring you minute to minute updates.

The legs continue worsening. We are now watching the transmission from the Amber Room.

Symphony:

I feel so helpless watching this. If only there was something Spectrum could do to help.

Melody:

The Angels aren't designed to be rescue ships. So there isn't much we could do. Unless we could use a Spectrum Helicopter and take up the trapped people.

Destiny:

If only we could do that. But that decision must be Colonel White's.

Melody:

Perhaps it was the Mysterons who sabotaged the bridge.

Symphony:

I can believe that. Maybe Captain Scarlet would be able to tell us. He sometimes can sense when there is a presence of a Mysteron.

We are viewing the broadcast from the Officer's Bay now. Captain Scarlet is definite in what he thinks.

Captain Ochre:

Are you quite sure, Captain Scarlet?

Captain Scarlet:

I'm certain.

His radio swings down, and white lights flash on his epaulettes.

Colonel White. I am feeling faint, sir. I think I can feel the presence of the Mysterons on that television.

Now we're looking at Colonel White at his revolving desk with the red light marking his communication with Captain Scarlet.

Colonel White:

Thank you, Captain. Well, it seems obvious that the Mysterons are after all behind this. If so, then Spectrum will begin to mobilize our forces in order to assist.

Lieutenant Green:

Colonel, what about the broadcasters who let the opening go ahead. Surely, they're responsible for this disaster.

Colonel White:

Well, we will get to that later, Lieutenant. But the highway is manned twenty-four hours per day, meaning that if there are cameras watching the foundation of the highway, we will be sure whether the Mysterons are responsible for this. But my feeling suggests that Scarlet is right.

DUM DUN DUM DUN DUM DUN DUM...

The bridge continues deteriorating. We are now watching the broadcast from the Tracy Island lounge again.

Scott:

Father, we've got to head off and do something. That bridge could collapse into the sea at any second.

Jeff:

You're right son. We haven't a moment to lose. Brains is probably thinking up something he can handle at the danger zone.

The Minister has interrupted the call from the presenter.

Minister:

Ladies and gentlemen from around the world, for the moment the three people inside the trapped car is safe. It is likely that the bridge won't collapse as long as no extra weight is added. There is only one organization I must call upon – International Rescue. If they are watching, please come in contact with the British Orbital Highway danger site.

Jeff:

That looks like our cue.

Virgil:

Well, what are waiting for?

Jeff:

Hold it a minute, Virgil. With the bridge highly unstable, it means that we need something fast and light that can easily descend to capture the trapped car.

Tintin:

Why don't we use our Tiger Moth, Mr. Tracy? It was used effectively on top of Skyship One, and it could do the trick now.

Jeff:

Right. That settles it. Tintin, you will arrange for the Pod in Brain's absence.

Tintin:

Yes, Mr. Tracy.

Jeff:

Scott!

Scott:

I'm on my way, father!

Jeff:

Virgil, take Alan with you in Pod 6.

Alan:

F.A.B, father!