Scene 4 - Watching

The opening of the highway is about to begin! There is a massive stretch of road ahead. We can see that there is red tape blocking the entrance onto the highway, and the far, far stretch up ahead. The Helijet has begun to land, and many officials are awaiting the opening of the British Orbital Highway. Cars are lined up for some way back, but we only see the bumpers of a few of them. Where we are now is a part of the slip road that leads up a hill and onto the main spur road. The traffic around the entrance is gridlocked with so many cars ready to embark up the highway. Where we are is a toll payment, whereby people stop on the six lanes to show their tickets so they can proceed ahead – or pay upfront. Mechanical grey boxes man the entry and payment method. Now the helijet had landed, the presenter, Brains, and the Minister arrive by the red tape. Excitement fills the people around.

Presenter:

And now viewers, it will only be another five minutes before the Minister here opens the highway for the first time.

We see the Tracy's viewing the television again, followed by Lady Penelope and Parker, and then the Spectrum officers, Colonel White and Lieutenant Green included, in the Officer's Bay. We then see the Angels in the Amber Room watching too, and Harmony listening to a radio transmission from the stand by Angel One. We may cut to several of the characters watching the television when they are speaking.

Now then, Mr. Hackenbacker, what are your feelings at the moment? Excitement and tension?

Destiny:

I just cannot wait for the opening of the Highway. To see those first few cars making their first journey on such a monumental achievement will be magnific.

Rhapsody:

I couldn't miss this for the world. People and historians will be talking about this moment for years afterwards.

In the Officer's Bay, Colonel White's epaulettes begin to flash white.

Colonel White:

Blast! Just at the most interesting part. Lieutenant, the control deck, with me.

Lieutenant Green:

Yes sir.

They head off. We see Brains on the TV of the Tracy lounge.

Brains:

And... I suppose, my overall reaction is that of ex-excitement that all this is f-finally coming a err, reality.

There is a call coming in from behind Jeff's desk. It is only sound selected, hearing only their voice.

Jeff:

Hold it a minute. This is Jeff Tracy, speaking?

Back on Cloudbase's deck, the Colonel and the Lieutenant sit back in their seats.

Lieutenant Green:

Call coming in from the World President direct himself sir. Sound selected only.

Colonel White:

Put him on.

Lieutenant Green:

S.I.G.

A white light on Colonel White's desk appears.

World President:

Colonel White.

Colonel White:

Mr. President.

We will see changing shots from Jeff's desk on Tracy Island and Colonel White's revolving desk on Cloudbase to the desk of the World President. The setting of the World President Younger in the Supreme Headquarters of Earth Forces (SHEF). The background can be reused from the maximum-security building seen in "The Mysterons".