Chapter-13 Night of the Party

The ingenious but dubious strategy proposed by Nate a week before the party, gained momentum through the weekdays. Diana and I worked overtime to get some more space for planning in the weekend.

Since this whole operation is secret, we have to keep the façade up so we don’t get special permissions to balance between the mission and work. Nate has been going through the steps frequently to have us remember everything. Diana is faster, she is familiar with the blueprints now.

“And remember, no referring to each other with names. Refrain from using the fake ID names as much as possible too.”
The fake ID names are James and Charlie, for me and Diana respectively but not saying out names helps protect our disguises better.

We had decided on wearing turtlenecks underneath the uniforms to hide the lower part of our faces once we got past the stairs. Gloves were an essential addition to avoid leaving behind fingerprints. Nate hasn’t been able to hack into the security system yet, it has been a worrying part but he’s been pulling all-nighters to break in.

He is working on it currently while we are holding a little dress rehearsal, Gabriel’s agent had delivered the uniforms and wig this morning. The agent also delivered special guns and ammunition which were not government issued.

Using police bullets would bring us into the spotlight if they were analysed during post mortem. However the plan was to sneak in so it would be less likely that we will be using them. There were special chips to pass through any metal detectors sent from the agency as well.
“I gotta admit, these uniforms are quite fancy.”
“Yeah”

The uniforms were white shirts with black sleeveless coats, the symbol of fancy ‘K’ was attached on the left of the coat. Our hoodies are needed when we reach the top floor, the idea was to slip them among Dominic’s suits. I helped Diana attach the wig onto her head, the net fit her head perfectly and after checking for defects and seeing whether it moved too much, I took a look at her face with the hair as whole.

“Blond hair suits you Diana”
“Really?”
Our previous assignments usually had black hair wigs but this time, Diana got a blond hair wig. She didn’t look convinced after seeing the mirror.
“Not like my natural black hair though…”
“Well you look like a guy which is the important part.”

We removed the staff dresses quickly after checking so that they don’t reek of sweat, an effect of stopping the usage of perfumes and scents. We stop it a few days before close encounter missions like this one.

Using accessories was also a definite no-no as they can clue on our identity. The earpieces were in good condition and we were instructed to speak into it as discreetly as possible. Diana found another box outside the list of things needed.
“What is this Nate?” she said shaking it lightly. Nate took a quick look to it and went back to his screen.

“Be careful with it, open and see.”
Diana opened it and to our surprise, there were two syringes neatly placed in cylindrical plastic boxes.
“What are these syringes for?”
“One for each of you. Use them if Dominic refuses to listen, that will force him to tell the truth and make him half conscious.”

“You want us to drug him?”
“Only if you need to!” Nate exclaimed back exasperated. The overwork was definitely getting to him. We both nodded and quietly continued with rehearsals.

************************************

It’s Wednesday morning. Derek and I are supposed to crash into the party tonight. Nate hasn’t still been able to break into the security system. All three of us are on the edge, especially Nate who has been extra snappy.

I have been worried about us getting trapped or worse get killed there, we need Nate’s eyes to watch our backs. It's not like we cannot do this without his help,it would be a lot more tougher and riskier.

So far, he has managed to get our IDs entered into the server but not as far to control the rest in the security system.
As far Derek and I are concerned, we are ready on our side. The club will be officially opened at 10 pm so we both will be pulling up our disguises as soon as we are off work. Leaving behind Nate who was literally a zombie now, we left for work.

It wasn’t too tiring today and after a clean shower, we set up our disguises with the turtleneck shirts, gloves, staff uniforms, wig and hoodies. The gun, chip, earpieces and syringe were hidden in our vests to be used later.

It was a mess at the safehouse to almost the point of cringe. Nate was frantically trying to break through still but it was too late.
“We still have a little time, get connected with me once you are close to the staircase. Until then you are on your own. Use your training and the knowledge you gained till now. If anything goes wrong, mix into the public. That will be your saviour.”
“Okay.”

Without further ado, Derek and I started leaving.
“And be careful.” Nate added.
We both shared a knowing look and nodded. Nate denies about being incapacitated in the physical fights we involve in but he does whatever he can to get us out of those alive. Derek squeezed my hand and that calmed my nerves a bit. It was us against the whole world as always.

The ride to the clubhouse was short and ‘The Elite Group’ neon lights came into sight sooner than expected. It was close to 10:30, we were on sched. The night was cold but the warmth hit us when we got near to the entrance.

Once we got past the gates, it was mostly drunk people dancing around with loud music blasting from speakers. Mingling with the crowds to avoid security personnel, we found the ‘staff only’ door with an ID card scanner on the wall. With one swipe, there was a green beep and the door opened. One barrier successfully passed through.

We entered a cozy room and got chance to shake off the cold. The staff members were simply flying around, no one even looked to our side. It was so busy that there was no checking on who entered. Derek and I took off our hoodies and set them aside to take them later. We lost no time in blending with the others with trays of drinks and went inside to take a look of the interior.

Derek and I split up at the entrance of the packed room, me to the right while he went to the left. The way was split into three paths, sides with couches for lounging and the center covered by a round railing to highlight the dance floor flashing with multicolored lighting.

Behind the dance floor was the DJ with his audio equipment glowing in yellow and blue lighted pillar walls squaring to the ceiling. The dance floor was filled with people dancing without a care of the world around them.

The pink colored couches were in contrast with the blue and dark pink spotlights and shiny violet disco balls with little lanterns lined parallel to the railing. There was definitely a dreamy vibe to this. Beyond the couches, there were bars with barstools.

After a few rounds of serving drinks around, Derek arranged our hoodies into the suits hanger and attached his earpiece while I continued. Setting my tray on the counter, I attached my earpiece slowly.
“Nate, we are ready to go. Have you taken control yet?”

Absolute silence, we had to continue according to the plan even if Nate hasn’t responded. I lifted up the hanger on the front and Derek followed cue and was about to lift it at the back.
“You forgot the damn cap to hide your face!” I whisper yelled.
“It's fine, I will keep my head down. Just go.”

We slowly made our way to the hidden staircase on the left side. It was close to 12 and the party was at the peak. We braced to answer the guard. There was another card swipe door before we could enter so after the green beeps, we picked the hanger casually and went in.

Derek and I was flabbergasted by the sight we saw. There was no guard at the staircase.
“Where are you both?”
We were looking around cautiously that we did not reply to Nate.
By the lack of our response, Nate continued.
“Was there a guard?”
“No...wait, how did you ask the right question without being able to watch us?” Derek whispered.

“Because the security is turned off by itself. It’s like it doesn’t exist.”
“WHAT!?”