Chapter 22 Disassociative

Start from the beginning

'She deserved better.' She finally sighs 'Now, if she's even got half a brain left, she'll die and save herself from this nightmare.'

'Now you are being ridiculous.'

Hoody's snide comment cut straight at her. Lowering her hands from her head, she stared in disbelief.

'Ridiculous? Really?! What is good in all this?!'

'A sense of purpose. That you are doing something with your pathetic life.'

Kate guffawed so hard, Toby would have been put to shame, 'Fuck this. I'd rather rot.'

Hoody took a threatening step towards her. Body suddenly taunt, hand raised, finger pointed. 'You don't mean that.'

But Kate was unafraid 'Yes I do. I'd rather be rotting ten feet under than have Him eat away at my brain-'

Hoody was at her face in the time it took her to blink.

Black-gloved hand raised to snap against her offending mouth, anger emanating from his every pore. His towering body was twice her size, dwarfing the lithe woman almost completely.

Kate was faster.

She always was faster.

It was almost instinctive the way she grabbed his hand and flipped him onto the powdery snow with the ease of a warrior; Hoody landed with a heavy thud, dazed for a single second, but it was enough to have a switchblade pressed against his jugular.

The man gave a frustrated grunt as he relaxed his body back onto the snow, but Kate's breathing was calm as she leaned over him.

Trapping his hands under her legs, sitting comfortably upon his chest in a way that forced him to look only at her. Leaving only her piercing eyes to stare at his ski mask, rage and insanity battling fiercely with hurt.

Yet it was Hoody that broke the silence first.

'You chose to become a Proxy.' He mused calmly, a matter-of-fact tone that betrayed he had reigned over his emotions and he was out for blood 'Do not hide behind your finger, calling for a pity party like a schoolgirl.'

The accusation hangs in the silence between them. Slides over the virgin snow, echoes in the wind.

'No, I didn't. I just wanted the pain to end.' she whispers, breath fanning Hoody's face 'You did. You wanted this. And remember, I taught you everything you know.'

Hoody remains silent for a moment and Kate can almost see the gears turning inside his deranged mind, feel the disappointed scowl he is giving her under his mask. This was territory they had silently agreed not to venture into, less it ate at their intimacy.

Because they had been together long before the other Proxies joined them. Only the two of them. The First Elites to exist, relying only upon one another. A rock amidst the burning inferno of insanity and slavery. Still, there was none better to destroy them completely than each other.

Demons were constantly calling for blood and for once, just this once, they had been let loose.

Kate regrets crossing the line the instant her words have left her. She can acutely hear Hoody's breath and-

'Do not blame others for your failures Kate. It is your fault the human got attacked; you let your guard down and got jumped.'

The raven-haired woman held the knife, yet Hoody was the one to stab.

For a moment everything is silent.

The trees, the wind, their breaths and her heart; she stills in her movements, peering down at the man in numb shock. Unable to understand just what he told her.