Chapter 22 Disassociative

Start from the beginning

Hoody paused in his step; shoulders dropping, gloved hand going for his face, yet he never turned to look at her.

'Both of us know very well that dealings with the Slender Man never end well for the human.' He throws at her, voice characteristically devoid of any emotions, although Kate knew it was a perfectly placed guise he used to protect himself 'It is the Law.'

'Really? Is that what you had in mind when you assured me that He didn't want any more Elites? That four of us were enough?!'

'How am I supposed to know what He wanted?'

'You SAID despite whatever he wanted, we'd take her back!' anger poisoned Kate, a venom bubbling in her heart from a spark she couldn't really pinpoint -maybe it was guilt, maybe sadness-, a tidal wave through her veins, her body, a sibilant sound in her ears.

'And we would have! But she went and threw herself inside the tank! Now there is no other choice than to become one of us.' Hoody turned to look at her. Kate couldn't see his walnut-coloured eyes, hidden deep under his ski mask, but she could feel them like hot coals against her skin.

'We were supposed to keep her safe! We were supposed to keep her in a single piece and no MATTER WHAT I TOLD YOU, you agreed to send her into the lion's den! How is that fair?!' her voice wavered, anger and guilt clashing with one another, hands thrown open in a wide gesture 'We did this to her!'

Hoody probably saw it. He was unsettlingly good at knowing what she was thinking at all times, so he read her like an open book once again and eased his posture in an attempt to calm her: his shoulders leaned back, his hands fell lifelessly on his sides as he gazed upon her.

'What is this about Kate?'

'It is about fucking up a perfectly good human-'

'No. No, it is not, so do not lie to me Kat.' He interrupted her 'Tell me the truth.'

Kate sighed exasperatedly. Her eyes burnt her; it was too bright, the air too light, even under the heavily clouded sky. There was a lump in her throat that made her angry and confused in her mind as she passed her hands through her black locks, pulling at them in a desperate attempt to feel something other than all... this.

'I just wanted to see one get away.' She eventually murmurs, unsure even of herself 'In all her fuckery and naïveté, she truly did help us and we did her wrong.'

Which was half the truth.

The rest of it was that ____ reminded Kate of someone long forgotten, someone that barely resided in her mind nowadays, but the kindness with which they had treated her stayed strong. A lingering feeling the Mark didn't torch completely.

In a way, she also did want to see one get away; to know that, even if they were too deep into this shit, maybe -just maybe- others wouldn't have to carry the burden. Of near-constant insanity, bloodthirst, submission and total obedience to a creature that was of this world and at the same time, of another.

To silence her frustrations, Kate closed her eyes and withdrew to the simplicity of darkness.

It had been a while since the last time she thought of things like that -the last time was when Toby joined them, but his insanity was enough proof that he was just as gone. There was no doubt in her mind for a second that she lived and breathed to serve her Master; he only needed to nod and Kate would do her best to do him proud, because if it weren't for him, what would her life be now?

She didn't have any reason to live other than receive orders, both she and Hoody knew that. Their lives were too far gone, too plunged into the abyss to even dare hope for something different.