Chapter 12

"What about the information on the drive were you able to crack it?" May asked as we all calmed down a bit and returned to the lighthouse.

"I haven't seen it yet but the data was saved to the terminal on the bus" I explained to the lead agent.

"You figure out what was so important that a man was willing to die for it" May orders before walking off the ramp and into the base.

"Sorry about earlier" you jumped at the voice but calmed a bit knowing it was just Zachary.

"Your gonna have to be more specific"

"I'm sorry for killing that man and for pressuring you about whatever you didn't want to talk about" he tells you and I hear the honesty filling his voice as he spoke.

"I accept your apology" I nodded sullenly.

"Really?"

"We have to work together, best not to hold grudges." I walked into the lab and stood in front of the terminal once again, typing onto the keyboard.

"What was on that drive anyway?"

"I'm looking into that now" I told him, eyes locked on the screen as I opened a file. I stumbled back at the title 'Midnight oil'. I covered my mouth with my hand as I let out a gasp. "No"

"What is it? Midnight oil?" He read off the screen.

"No" I started to cry again, breathing becoming heavy and vision fading in and out.

"Thea? Thea what's wrong? Emily! Somebody help!" Zacharys voice called out before I spaced out. "Look at me okay? Just keep focusing on me and how much I annoy you okay?" He tried to get me to stay with him but I was struggling. "Flint!" He called as the boy was just exiting the plane. "I need help man!"

"Woah Thea, hold on" Flint rushed off and when he returned soon, Emily was with him.

"What did you do to her?" Your best friend growled at the future boy who was with you. While they were gone he had sat me down in a chair so that I wouldn't fall and hurt myself.

"Nothing, nothing" he backs away and raised his hands in defence and fear of my friend. "She just opened the file thing on the computer and suddenly started panicking" he explained with panic for me.

"Flint what's on that file?" Emily questioned as she made her way closer to me for comfort.

"Oh god" he sighed.

"What?" Emily started to panic.

"Midnight oil" Flint read out.

"Oh no, Thea" her voice turned soft immediately as she hugged her friend tightly. "Let's get you back inside" Emily escorted me back to my room where she did not lead my side once. "You will stay here until I say you are free to go" she instructed once my breath had calmed.

~~~

"Hey, I know I'm probably the last person you want to see but Emily told me to bring this to you" Zachary smiled kindly as he knocked on your door and held a green mug in his hand.

"Come on in" I waved him over and he handed me the mug. "What is it?"

"Tea, I think" I took a sip and nodded at his answer. "So I can see that Emily still hasn't let you leave your room" he comments, taking a seat in the desk chair beside my bed.

"Do you think you could help me?" I looked to him with hopeful eyes.

"Yeah, of course what is it?"

"I need to get back on the bus to read that file."

"No, absolutely not" he immediately argues.

"Come on, please" I begged.

"Emily will literally kill me if I sneak you out, especially if I let you read that file again"

"Listen Zachary—"

"You can call me Zach" he reminds, cutting me off.

"Zachary, I'm the only one who understands midnight oil" I tried again.

"And I'm not letting you leave this room. You could get hurt again and that would be my fault and I can't have that on my conscience" he argued back.

"And here I thought you were different" I crossed my arms with a huff.

"You are the worst" he sighed. "Come on let's go quickly before Emily catches us" he stands up again and extends a hand to me but I jump up without his help. "Be careful please, I don't need you having another panic attack" he tells me with pleads in his voice.

"I promise" I looked to him.

"Alright I'll check to make sure the way is cleared" he peaks into the hall before rushing back inside. "Emily's coming" he warned, making me jump back into my bed as he sat back in the seat.

"What are you two up to?" Emily questioned with suspicion as she entered my room to see us chatting normally.

"He's just annoying me but of course I can go anywhere" I groaned as a smile made its way onto his lips.

"What can I say it's what I do best" he shrugs happily.

"Well we have a mission so gear up" the blond haired girl instructed.

"Me too?" I looked up with hope filled eyes.

"No, it's just a simple mission. We don't need our scientist."

"But last mission was supposed to be a simple mission and we all know how that turned out" I mumbled, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Everything will be fine" Emily told you before walking out.

"I'll take you to look at the file when we get back, alright?" Zachary stood up again as he whisper so that Emily wouldn't hear me.

"Thank you"

————————————————————
Question of the day: what do you think of Emily being a protective friend to Thea?