17

Pipher Green

I don't remember much from last night past watching Vin, Catherine, and Frankie leave for the holiday. I slept for a long time and when I woke up I wasn't hungry for breakfast. I peered out the window and saw a light snow falling and only a few carriages arriving at the school.

I finished packing and put my bag by the door for whenever Anna came to get me. Though I wasn't hungry I went to the dining hall to pick up some snacks and drinks for the journey. There were only a handful of students there, which was expected.

I picked up a few cookies, a sandwich, and two bottles of water before going back to my dormitory. There was Anna, walking toward the door to get me.

"I was just coming to get you," She said, "My parents are here,"

I opened the door to my room and put the food in water in my bags before saying goodbye to Charles. I shook him awake and told him to write to me over the holiday. He was probably too sleepy to understand what I was saying so I quickly scribbled a note to him and I left it on his nightstand.

I grabbed my bags and met Anna in the corridor. "All set?" She asked.

"All set," I confidently replied. Though I didn't remember packing my bag, I was sure I had everything I would need. We walked to the headmaster's office and wrote our names down before going downstairs.

"Anna!" A voice yelled from beside a carriage. It was her mother.

She began running toward the carriage and I walked behind her.

"Mom, this is Pipher, the boy I've been telling you about," She spoke. "And Pipher, this is my mother,"

"Nice to meet you," I said, reaching for her mothers hand for a handshake.

Without saying much more, Anna and I placed our bags in the carriage with us and we sat across from each other. Both of her parents sat on top together and we departed. The ride started off steady but at points the terrain got a bit bumpy.

"Can you pass me a bottle of water?" She asked me.

"Sure," I said, handing her the bottle. She waited until we were in a slightly less bumpy place to take a sip.

"How far of a trip is it normally?" I asked.

"About three hours or so," She replied.

The rest of the journey was very silent. Anna was looking out the small window most of the time and I was reading the mystery book.

It seemed as though our relationship went from being good to being bumpy to being good again all in the span of about two days.

Once we were getting close to our destination Anna plucked the book from my hands and pointed out the window. We entered a small town, it was about twice the size of the town by Maglins due to all the homes.

Many of the buildings looked old and authentic but yet modern. We both looked out the small window together.

We saw a bookstore, grocery stores, restaurants, apartment buildings, and many other buildings. The carriage continued on a side road, leaving the town behind us, she lived in the country.

"You never told me you live in the country," I said.

"It's not really the country," She laughed.

She was partially right by my standards. The carriage stopped about half a mile out of the town at a medium sized house. Behind it was a field and barn with a few horses.

"Anna," Her father said once we had came to a stop, "I need you to help me,"

She got out of the carriage, leaving her bags behind.