35.2: The End and The Beginning

The following days were filled with identifying and capturing criminals and finding out what had really happened that day with the light.

Scotch was sitting up on his hospital bed wondering what parts he should tell his mother and what parts he should let her find out for herself. After that day, Scotch, Christoph, Mason, and Ginger were swarmed with media attention. Halfhuman and Human channels were gushing about their 'heroic' deeds, but they themselves didn't see their actions as heroic.

"We just did what we thought was right," Scotch would say over and over.

Once they got a break, which was in the evening, they were made to give names to the HC police regarding the incident and the various deaths including the death of River. River's family was directly contacted by the Halfhuman representative Sigmund Redwood. A funeral was to be held next week, the same week that Scotch's father's case was to be reopened. Sigmund said that he was certain the wrongly convicted Human would be freed and Trinity, although already dead, would most definitely receive the death penalty.

"I can guarantee. On my honor, Borrecki," Sigmund had said when he visited Scotch just this morning. They shook paws on it.

Do I mention that, too? But so much shite happened. Scotch stared down at his Bolt. He had erased the recordings after Sigmund downloaded them for evidence against Trinity as she could still be convicted even in death. Her Special Student Task Force members were captured and so were the AEM followers and colleagues including Gravy, the radical Halfhuman who shouted out his views as he was hauled away in a policeship. 

Maya went with him, but not before some coercing from the Halfhuman representative to reveal the names of the rest of SSTF so they were captured before they could get far. Both Gravy and Maya would await trial and promised a lighter sentence if they revealed more about the AEM and SSTF involvements.

As for the strange light, the Sorcerer representative explained that some citizen had used an ancient relic to wish for peace upon the world. All those with truly blackened hearts were killed by the light. Those that were left were supposed to maintain this peace or use it to mend.

And that's what we've done. Scotch stared at the number to call home. All in one summer. What would she think? And then I'll be goin' back like everythin's fine now.

It was crazy to think in two weeks they would go back to school. It would be a new school almost with all new teachers and officers because, apparently, most were in AEM. The entire school was operated by enemies! Scotch could not believe he had been living under the same roof as those that thought killing innocents was the way to get things done.

Can't put this off. Scotch sighed. He had already waited until nine at night, just when his mother would be going to bed. He was afraid that despite everything, she might be disappointed in him that he went and got into a big mess and didn't say a word to her until she probably found out on the news. He touched the number and it connected. His mother answered right away.

"Scotchie boy," came his mother's scolding tone and he flinched, "I turn on the screen and see you on the wanted list and then I hear ya gots yourself a hero's badge, now how come ya ain't callin' your Mama?"

The hero's badge wasn't even a badge. It was a framed silver plaque with the HC logo carved in it. Only given to those who did heroic deeds. "I was goin' to call ya, Mama. I just got caught up and—"

"Thank the moons you're alive!" his mother sobbed into the phone. "I got the letter."

They already sent the letter? That was quick.

"We'll be there, Butter, me, and Taffita," she continued, "Papa Bran will be so proud."

"Yeah," Scotch said, holding in his tears. He had not heard his mother speak of his father in years. They talked a little bit more about all that happened. When he hung up the Bolt, he took a deep breath and let it all out.

His Bolt buzzed. It was Mason.

Ready to get out?

Yeah.

How 'bout a scotch, like old times?

Sounds good. He didn't know if they would get any privacy now that they had appeared on the screen. Would everything ever go back to 'like old times'?

Scotch's ears twitched. "Come in."

Mason came inside with Christoph behind. Christoph's shirt was bulging and once they came in, he brandished a bottle of scotch.

"Mason made me do it." He gave an accusing glare at Mason. "I wouldn't have. And it's after curfew." Despite his tone, a smile pulled at his lips.

"Let's toast to us." Mason pulled up a chair. Christoph sat on the bed.

"I'm gonna start cravin' for toast." Scotch chuckled.

"Toast and butter? Hey, how's Butter? Ya talked to her? She still mad ya didn't call her on your birthday?" Mason grinned.

Scotch grimaced. With so much going on, he had forgotten about their birthday. It wasn't until later, but every year they began to celebrate a week in advance. They did this as tradition. Scotch couldn't remember why they started doing it. Despite his explaining to her what had been happening, she decided to be sour about it.

Mason chuckled when Scotch told him what went down. The silence on the other end and the wordless handing the phone back to his mother. Then his mother saying,

"Butter's tellin' me to tell ya that she'll be there, but no presents for ya, my oh my Butter, you better not be punishin' your brother, do ya know what he's..." His mother's voice trailed off and then returned to talk more about what happened with him.

"Ya both stubborn 'bout everythin', see," Mason turned to Christoph, "when they were little..."

There was a knock and Ginger peeked in. "Boys," she whispered, "keep ya voices down. I'm not even Sarvai and I can hear ya down the hall."

"Come join us, there's still bed space," Scotch said. Ginger pursed her lips and sauntered in, quietly closing the door.

"Ya know, we can't always do these things. We gotta start abidin' to the law." She sat down and grabbed the bottle from Christoph. "And these things, sneakin' in, shame on ya."

But her lips cracked into a smile and she threatened to drink the whole thing for herself until they promised to keep to the law from now on. Scotch glanced at Mason knowing this would not be the last time.

Finally, they each had a plastic cup with some scotch. Scotch raised his cup. "To—"

"What happened to Serelia and Arrow, by the way? They weren't there at the end of it all, but I didn't see their bodies," Christoph interrupted.

"Vanished," Ginger shrugged, "'cause ya know, Sorren was arrested. He helped, but Sapphires weren't clean either, ya know. Five years, I heard."

Mason shrugged. "Humans do Humans, we do us, right?"

They all nodded in agreement. Maybe Humans and Halfhumans had more understanding of each other, but they had their own problems to work on.

He met eyes with Ginger, Mason, and Christoph, feeling the loss of River as he did so. The three smiled and Christoph reached over to rest his hand over Scotch's paw. Scotch came up with the perfect words and he couldn't think of anything better.

He raised his glass. "To Crystal Hunters!" he shouted, forgetting to be quiet.

"To Crystal Hunters! Cheers!" Mason said, and Ginger and Christoph echoed him. Then they all tipped back the scotch and laughed. Scotch leaned against Christoph.

Couldn't ask for a better beginning. He smiled and looked forward to tomorrow. He knew that with his friends and boyfriend he could get through most anything.

======== T H E   E N D ========

Note: Author here! Thank you for reading to the end! My, my, what an ending. Please don't forget to vote :)

The loss of River still hurts me. I loved that barking girl. My she rest in peace.

You may wonder what happened with Mason, well, after grieving her loss, he goes back to himself more or less, flirting with whoever interests him.

Move on to the next page for some extras :D