18: What a Mess!

Scotch followed Mason into his room and slouched on the bed. "Why this, eh? Why?"

"To get butt naked." Mason wiggled his butt.

"Ya know what I'm talkin' about." Scotch tried to kick him, but he couldn't reach.

"Do we know Quinn's really dead, anyway?" Mason said with a grunt and rolled around on the floor, trying to push his pants off.

"Think the video's fake?"

"Maybe," Mason gritted his teeth, "damn, these pants."

"And a body don't just up and leave." Scotch tried to piece together a timeline as he listened to Mason's grunts and groans trying to take off his tight pants. 

At Rickitine Hotel, they argued with Luka and then he ran off. It wasn't until Scotch and the others were on the train that they got the notice of the Humans breeching security and then shortly after, that video of Quinn getting shot by a Human. Could Luka have been on campus already?

Scotch pondered out loud. "Suppose the Human that shot Quinn was Scuttle, but who set fire to Rickitine?"

"I'm never gonna wear skinny jeans again!" Mason grunted, kicking the pants under his bed. "I hate 'em. Well, we still got Maya and there were four others in SSTF."

Scotch pursed his lips. Didn't make sense. "Riskin' their own lives for what?"

"Diversion," came Christoph's voice. The door was open and there he stood with a towel on his head, wearing dry clothes. "Send everyone to deal with something more dire like life and death than a Human breeching the system."

"Gonna take room invitation fees," Mason held out his hand, "About five thousand."

"Even I don't have that kind of money." Christoph shrugged and closed the door. "The female Human came unexpected for them. I think they were going to burn the hotel before that."

"Who's 'they'?" Mason slipped off his socks. His feet were Human with yellow fur just slightly on the top, and Scotch sometimes found it strange to look at.

Christoph pursed his lips and paused. "Hm, well, from what I've been hearing with all this shushing of the OB case, probably SSTF. It follows Trinity and she has control over it."

But why would Saber Scuttle have to kidnap Tyler? Because he happened to go back? Maybe Saber wasn't expecting anyone to be with Quinn? Maybe that was why Quinn got shot.

"What if Tyler insisted to check the breech with Quinn and she obliged. But instead they meet Saber and Trinity talking? Maybe even about Maya and Luka?" he wondered aloud.

"That." Christoph leaned against the door. "Because right, otherwise why would Tyler have known about who was in cahoots? Didn't you say that Tyler thought Quinn was innocent?"

Scotch nodded and pulled up the texts. Tyler had said he didn't think Quinn was involved, but what if she was and that was why she and Saber, supposedly, were arguing and then he killed her?

"I was thinkin', too," Mason said, putting on his shoes. "And then—"

"But that means Trinity and Scuttle might be working together but have different goals. Trinity wouldn't want any deaths on her property, would she?" Christoph pulled his tail around his waist. "So, Luka, also at the scene, hides the body on Trinity's orders. As far as we can tell from the video, Saber made off after killing her, and kidnapped Tyler."

Scotch nodded. It was getting clearer in his mind how citizens may have been working. He knew they, as cadets, couldn't do anything at school. Even if they did find Dornt and were able to prove to him about what happened to Quinn, they might not be able to say anything about Trinity or SSTF until they could gather evidence against Trinity.