15.2: Rickitine Hotel

As they made their way to the main event space, Sage gave a smile over her shoulder.

"You'll all like it, scrumpchkins," she cooed. "A special guest is among us and no entry fee."

"No entry fee?" Tyler fumbled in his pockets. "But I—fignuts!" he shouted and stopped. "My Bolt!" He began to make his way back to the station. "It's got my ID in there, and, and everything, too. I-I had it with me in the taxi, must have fallen out, guys, you got the number still?"

Luka rolled his eyes. "But you can't go all the way back—"

"Luka, the number. Maya?" Tyler shifted from one foot to the other. Scotch could not help but think how hot he still looked panicking. As Maya called the taxi driver and asked about a Bolt, Tyler looked like he wanted to make a dash for it. Scotch met eyes with him.

"It'll be fine," he said.

"Yeah, I hope." Tyler gave a lopsided smile. "Damn it. I was just so caught up into," He leaned over to whisper, "flirting with you."

Scotch burned. Damn it.

"Got it!" Maya said. "They took it back to the school."

"I'm going." Tyler moved to leave when Luka stopped him.

"All the way back?"

"Yeah."

"Ridiculous."

Tyler shrugged. "Go on without me. I'll be quick. Be back in no time. See ya," he said and flashed a smile at Scotch and ran off. "I'll text you when I get it!" he called back.

"I'd hate losin' my Bolt, but not worried about ID," Mason said. "What'd he whisper to you, Scotchie? And are we goin'?"

Ty's hittin' on me. But when do we start datin'? Scotch pursed his lips. With Dex they had an official 'do you wanna be my boyfriend' conversation. He didn't like it so unclear.

Moments later they were in a huge banquet hall with a stage way up front that had band playing music. Citizens of various Halfhuman sub-species were milling about in fancy suits, casual dress, and everything in between. There was a large space opened up before the stage and some citizens were dancing a slow waltz with their partners.

Such things that the Human cultures left in our veins. Scotch recalled the documentary on Human culture that came all the way from a faraway planet called Earth. According to that, Humans hated each other so much that they nearly went extinct until some got on a spaceship and traipsed over to Elgana, claiming it as their own. With them, they brought their culture.

Centuries and centuries ago and here Halfhumans still waltz like pathetic Humans. Scotch hated slow music for dancing. Dancing, at least, he could successfully do. But it had to be fast with musicians strumming crittles and stomping on orckets. The slow stuff, he never knew how to move his body.

"They've got scotch, help yourself," Luka said and went to greet some other citizens who turned to smile at him.

"Well, guess we gonna help ourselves," Ginger said. River nodded and together they walked over to the drink table which was self-serve. Podge had gone to talk with some cityfolk and Maya had disappeared as well as Sage.

"Suddenly, I don't feel very hungry," Mason said as he eyed the many tables around them. The tables all had plates with little gray cakes, gray cupcakes, other gray pastries on them. Why was everything gray? There were also some little appetizers that looked like black ooze on green crackers, and strange little gelatin things on single spoons with a dollop of strange brown sauce on it.