Chapter 35

Demi's POV

I walked through the emergency room doors without looking back.

"Hello ma'am, can we help you?" The woman at the front desk asked.

I gulped. 

Something about the atmosphere made me nervous. I was willing more anxiety than I had ever known. I was lost and I wasn't sure how to socialize. I wasn't sure how to go about this entire thing. I knew I needed help, I just wasn't sure how to ask for it.

"Miss, can you take your hat off?" She asked me.

I took my hat off to reveal all of my black eyes. 

"Oh my!" The nurse gasped. 

I pursed my lips together as I began to get nervous. Suddenly, I regretted letting Joe talk me into coming here.

"I-I just need to be seen. I was hurt pretty badly," I said.

"Who did that to you sweetie?" She asked.

I looked down as I considered telling a lie over the truth. Joe's words echoed in my mind and I knew I was going to need help way beyond the physical. I thought about Ariana and all of the other girls that Kevin had hurt. I needed to tell the truth to save the rest of them. I needed to make sure this didn't happen to any girl ever again.

"My pimp," I replied simply.

I wanted to vomit as soon as the words spilled from my mouth. The words disgusted me even as I said them. 

"Miss, please sit tight for a moment," The nurse said before getting up with a horrified look on her face. "Someone page 9-1-1!" She yelled.

My eyes widened nervously as I glanced at her. I was feeling very uncomfortable and I regretted saying what I did. 

As I started to criticize myself the nurse came out and led me to a room

"Can we get your name please?" She asked.

"Demetria," I replied.

"Lovato?" She questioned.

I nodded my head.

"How did you know?" I asked her.

She gave me a smile in astonishment. 

"You've been all over the news for weeks," She said. "Your folks will be happy to see you," She told me.

I suddenly remembered my family and couldn't imagine even being a part of their family anymore. I felt dirty and unworthy to have the last name Lovato. I wanted to disappear. I wasn't sure what was going to happen then but I knew life would never be the same again. 

I began to feel overwhelmed. My heart began beating, I started to sweat, my stomach got queasy and suddenly I leaned over and I was passed out. I couldn't wake up. I couldn't move my body. One moment I was present, the next I wasn't. I laid there helplessly as doctors rushed in opening my eyes to see if I was conscious or not. That was the last thing I remember before I fell into a deep sleep.