Chapter 28

Joe's POV

"Sir!" A voice yelled. "Put your hands up!" 

A bright light was shined in my eyes as I looked up at the sun was beating down on me. I was pretty sure I was still drunk from the night before. My blurry vision was suddenly clear as I saw it was now daylight out. Though I sobered up quickly as I sat up and saw four police cars in front of me as I was surrounded by officers.

 Though I sobered up quickly as I sat up and saw four police cars in front of me as I was surrounded by officers

"Sir! Put your hands up now!" An officer shouted through a bull horn. 

I gulped as I realized what was happening. I had gotten drunk and fell asleep on the neighbors lawn. 

Joe, you fucking idiot, I thought to myself.

I stood up slowly and put my hands up as the officers came up behind me and threw me against one of the police cars. The grabbed my hands and put them behind my back.

"Sir, you're under arrest for public intoxication. Anything you say can and will be held against you," Another officer said as he began to read me my rights.

I quickly zoned out as I tried to figure out what had happened to me. 

Who was I?

-

As I sat in the cell in silence with one other guy my mind became warped. Why did I do that?

This was not what my life was supposed to be life

This was not what my life was supposed to be life. My dad had never even gotten this far. Not that I had just beat my wife or kids or anything but at least the man knew how to get home.

I longed to see Demi. This was the wake up call I needed to stop. I couldn't bring Skye back. As much as I wanted to I couldn't but I shouldn't have been drowning myself in alcohol to cover up my mistakes. I should've been taking care of Demi. I should've been with her and grieving with her together. I would hate for her to see me like this. She would be so disappointed.

My mind began to wonder about Demi. She was probably doing a lot better than I was. She was such a strong woman. She had probably began writing a book about this experience or decided to go to an ivy league school or something by now. I knew wherever she was that she was a lot better off than I was.

"Jonas!" A guard called as he opened the cell. "Come take you phone call," He said.

I nodded as I walked out and towards the phone. I couldn't help but wonder who to call. I thought about calling Demi but I figured I had already ruined her life bad enough. I thought about calling my grandma. She would've been upset but I could've taken it. Then I thought about how sad and disappointed she would be.

I knew there was only one person I could call.

-

"Well, well, well stranger. I don't think orange is your color," Ashley said shaking her head as I entered the lobby.

 I don't think orange is your color," Ashley said shaking her head as I entered the lobby

"Right," I said ignoring her lame joke.

I knew I would probably regret calling her. I was already starting to but I was desperate to get out of that jail cell. I needed someone I could depend on and after the past few months I would say she definitely owed me.

"Tough crowd," She joked.

We went out to the car and it felt good to be out but yet I felt disgusting.  I didn't like who I had become. I missed being with Demi. I missed Demi in general. I decided to text her.

[messages]

I know you must hate me but I really need to talk to you. I'm so sorry and I love you. I hope u are doing well. -J

*Apple music link: I Fucked Up - Convolk*

Just listen to the song dems -J

[end]

As I expected, no response. I couldn't blame her. 

"You okay?" Ashley asked me.

I continued to stare out the window as I refused to make eye contact with her.

"For sure," I lied.

I wasn't okay and I couldn't remember the last time I was. 

I wanted to be though and from that moment on I was committed to being better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you guys think Joe can redeem his self?