Chapter 16

Joe's POV

"So we have no money, no place to sleep, and we're twenty-four hours away from home," I said to Demi.

"Yeah, that's about right," she said from the drivers seat.

I had sobered up a bit from earlier that night but I still wasn't driving. I felt like complete shit about fighting with Demi. That was the first fight we had ever had. I couldn't even begin to find the words to apologize to her.

"Well, I can't just keep driving Joe," Demi said as she continued down the freeway.

I didn't know what to say and to be honest I was having a hard time listening. Everything in my brain was getting too over stimulated as I was bombarded by all of the things going on in my life. I was feeling so overwhelmed.

Demi must have gotten tired of waiting for me to tell her what to do as she quickly took the next exit. The ride continued to be silent.

-

"Where are we?" I asked Demi as I saw she finally parked the car.

"I think we're at Venice Beach," She said before she pulled the keys out and stuck them in her purse.

We both got out and approached the beach to see a family was having a cookout and partying. There was three kegs, lots of bottles being passed around, and a bon fire going as people roasted marshmallows and hot dogs.

"You want to crash?" I asked Demi.

I knew she was mad at me but I didn't want to ruin our trip. I knew what I had to do to fix this.

"Dem," I said as I stopped walked and pulled her waist close to me. "Listen to me," I said. "I'm sorry about how I've been acting. All this pressure is just really getting to me, okay?" I told her. 

She looked up at me and gave me a forgiving smile.

I knew I hadn't lost her. At least for now. 

"Let's go party," She said as she grabbed my hand and took me towards the beach.

-

"Who are you guys?" A girl asked.

"I'm Joe," I said with a smile as I grabbed a cup and filled it with water to sober me up. "This is my girlfriend, Demi," I said introducing Demi. 

"Hello," Demi said shyly.

"Come dance with us!" The girl said as she grabbed Demi's hand and pulled her away to dance with her friends.

Suddenly someone turned the music up and everyone was dancing. I looked up and saw Demi was dancing with the biggest smile on her face. I couldn't help but look up at the sky and thank God, or whoever was up there, for how lucky I was. Things were finally going my way. 

I just hoped I didn't ruin it like I had at tendency to do when things finally started to go well in my life

Demi made me want to break that cycle.

-

I woke up to the taste of sand in my mouth and spat it out instantly.

"Ew!" I said as I stood up on the beach. 

"Sleep well?" Demi asked me.

She was already up and smiling for the day.

"Wow, you're up early," I said to her as I sat up.

"Yeah, I have been for a while," She said. "I love to see the sun rise in the morning," She said. "You want to go for a walk before we head home?" She asked me.

I nodded my head and stood up. I grabbed her hands and helped her up as I took her hand and we began to walk down the beach.

 I grabbed her hands and helped her up as I took her hand and we began to walk down the beach

"So, not to bring anything up," Demi said. "But you never really told me what was going on y-," 

I already knew where the conversation was going and I hurried up to think of a way to change the subject. Just long enough for us to get home and for me to find a way to talk to Demi about what was going on. 

"Hey look," I said cutting her off and bending down to see a dead crab. "This little guy is dead," I said giving her a sad face.

"Poor thing," Demi said as she bent down beside me.

"We should give him a funeral," I said.

"O-okay," Demi said.

I began to get busy as I dug a hole in the sand and covered the crab in sand. I quickly grabbed a flower and tied the stem to a stick and stuck it in the sand with the crab.

"Well, it's not much, but it's a memorial," I said.

She looked up at me and smiled.

"You know I love how you care about the little things," Demi said in a mesmerized look. 

I bit my lip and smiled at her.

"Those are the most important things in life," I told her.

She kissed my cheek. 

"What was that for?" I asked her.

She looked down.

"Just because you inspire me," She said.

That crushed my heart.

"How?" I asked her.

"You've been through so much in your life yet you still choose to find the beauty in everything, even me," She said looking down.

She had no idea how in love with her I was.

She said I inspired her but she inspired me.

That's what made this even harder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should I update again tonight? lol

Yall will probably hate me for the next couple chapters :P