Chapter 4

Joe's POV

"I can't believe we're still awake," Demi said as she began to stare up at the moon.

We were sitting outside my window on my roof talking and enjoying each other's company. I wanted to know everything about this woman. I couldn't help it. She was so interesting.

"Me too," I said as I began to play with her hands and admire her ruby red nail polish.

There was one question that I had been dying to ask her though. I took a deep breath as I finally found the courage to ask her.

"Have you ever been in love?" I asked her.

She looked down shyly.

"No," She mumbled. 

I smiled at her.

"That's okay," I told her.

"I mean, you were just my first kiss so of course not," She said giving me a look telling me I should have known.

All I could do was smile at her in return.

"What about you?" She asked turning the question around on me.

She got me there.

"I honestly don't know," I said looking down.

I knew that wasn't the answer she was looking for but that was something I had still been trying to determine.

"What about your ex?" She asked me.

I chuckled.

"Boy, you're not making this easy on me at all," I teased.

"Of course not. Why would I?" She teased back. 

I took a deep breath as I prepared to open up apart of myself that I hadn't even truly opened up to my own family. 

"Honestly, Ashley was my first everything. I'll give her that but I wouldn't call what we had love. I always sort of knew it wasn't going to last," I admitted.

"Why did you stay together so long then?" Demi asked me curiously.

"I guess I just loved the lifestyle. I had just turned eighteen when I started dating her. I had lost my virginity to her and she showed me a life I had never known. I grew up in Colleyville and we were pretty poor when I was younger. I was pretty much trailer trash until she found me and moved me to Dallas. She helped me get my first corporate job, an apartment, took me to bars, and it was a lot of fun. It was more about loving the lifestyle than loving her. I guess that's why I had let her cheat on me so much. I just really didn't want to move back home and be another nobody from Colleyville but, you know here I am," I said in a disappointed voice.

I was everything I never wanted to be. 

"You're not a nobody," Demi said quietly. "And I'm sorry that anyone ever made you feel that way," she added.

I smiled at her.

"Thanks," I said. "I'm a pretty firm believe though that everything happens for a reason. I have a feeling I'm right where I'm supposed to be," I said with a wink.

 I have a feeling I'm right where I'm supposed to be," I said with a wink

"I think so too," she replied. 

"You're something, you know that?" I asked.

She rolled her eyes playfully.

"I'm not kidding," I said in a serious voice. "And I'm gonna find out what it is. On a friendship level or any other level," I said to her.

She gave me a shy smile as she began to blush and I couldn't help but admire her. She was so beautiful, especially as she wore my t-shirt. I wanted to see more of this.

It was fair to say that I was bound to fall in love with this girl

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry this is shorter than the other chapters but I'll write more soon!