A Date

The next day Ransom returned to work, pissed because he forgot his coffee. Luckily Hermione had bought both of them coffee and donuts. He walked into the store to see her beaming, not able to understand how she was so chipper this early.

She's wearing a Burgundy button up skirt with a black tank top, topped off with a leather jacket. Wearing a pair of low cut black boots with a two inch heal. He wore a pair of black jeans, and a white t-shirt with a dark grey, knit sweater overtop.

"Hey Ransom, I got us coffee and donuts. I'm gonna show you how to work the register after we eat, I have a book signing here tonight and I might not be able to step away."

"Okay." He walks over and grabs his coffee from the desk. He takes a long drink before opening the box of donuts. His eyes light up like a little kid on Christmas morning. "I haven't had donuts in years." Hermione looks over at him and smiles through her cup of coffee.

Her smiles slightly fades when she realizes it was because of his jail time. He takes a bite and laughs to himself. "Good?" She asks taking a bite of her own. "Very." He replies with a mouth full, using his hand to cover it.

Both laughing as they finish their breakfast and coffee. "Was it hard?" Hermione breaks the subtle silence that had fallen over the room. Realizing she's asking about his time in prison he takes a deep breath.

Both of them are sitting on her desk. "It wasn't as bad as I thought, I spent most of my time working out or sleeping. It went by fast."

"I'm sorry it's none of my business. I shouldn't have asked." He shakes his head and waves his hand around. "No, it's fine really, I don't care. It's really fresh though. I just got out two days ago."

"Wow, I would think you'd wanna wait, have time before diving into work." He chuckles and bites his lip, trying to think about what she said. Bu he couldn't have a moment to breath. He needed money, he had none.

"It wasn't an option." The only reason he's actually opening up in anyway is because it is part of his plan. But the more he opens up, the more he's helping with her plan. And the more vulnerable he ends up getting.

"I'm sorry. That must've been awful." He laughs, loudly. Comically. "Not as awful as the shit I did." His laughter instantly dies when he sees the look on Hermione face. Just as she's about to reply her phone rings. She lets it ring. "Are you gonna answer?" Ransom interrupts her daze. "I let it ring three times, I like listening to my ringtone." She's dead serious which only makes him laugh more.

She finally picks it up. "Hello?" He's concentrated on her as she's on the phone. She bites her cheek and her eyebrows knit together. Mouth falling into a frown. "No, no. Ana I need Henry to go. He said he would." A few second go by with her holding the bridge of her nose between her thumb and index finger and shaking her head.

"Anastasia, I understand that, but I can't go to the gala without a date." Another moment of her obvious frustration as her personal assistant Anastasia breaks some bad news to her. "No, Ana. I can't go with a stranger. I just won't go, it's fine, i'll give Marcus a call and let him know I won't be attending. It's fine. Okay bye."

While she was on the phone Ransom was cleaning up from breakfast while eavesdropping. "You okay?" He asks as she hops off her desk moving to throw her coffee cup in the trash. "Yea, my friend cancelled on me, he was supposed be my date to this writers gala but he is going skydiving instead. Now I don't have a date and it's this Sunday. And I can't go without a date so i'm just not going."

Ransom picked up the whole conversation, he just wanted her to repeat it to him so she wouldn't think he was being nosey and listening in. This made his plan easier. "I could go with you. If you want. I have nothing better to do and you seemed like you really wanted to go."

"Ransom, I couldn't ask you to do that for me." They stand in-front of the desk talking and he takes a step closer. "You're not asking, i'm offering. And it'll be great publicity."

"I don't know..." She bites her lip, trying to think about it. She can't possibly let him do something like that for her. Going with a friend is one thing, but your employee going as your date? That's different.

"I get it, you don't have to accept. It might not actually be good publicity you'd be going with a murdered." He was guilting her. His manipulative nature taking over. Going as her date, charming her, being a gentleman, will get him one step closer to his end goal.

"That's not why Ransom. I get you did bad things, but you seem different. I didn't know you before and I barely know you now but you seem like you could be a good guy. You can't be all bad." He fakes a disappointed, sad, hurt look and nods in his pretend understanding. "You don't have to go with me just because i'm your boss."

She sees the opportunity ahead. She could use this gala to get close to him, for her story. She refuses to go to the lengths he's willing to go to, she just wants to have him open up to her as a friend. Ransom on the other hand, seeks her love. Just to get hold of her money.

"Actually, If you really want to, I would love for you to be my date." He's surprised she agreed. She seemed so against it. Maybe this'll be easier than he thought. "Okay, great. I need a suit though..."

"That's no problem, If you're free after work i'll take you to get one." His hands are on his hips and he's standing proudly. "Yea, sure. Thank you."

"No, thank you." She giggles. "You're welcome." His devious smirk showing once again. "So, are you going to show me how to work that register before we open?"