Chapter 38 - Rio

Just when we thought the rough skies would subside before we land home, the grey clouds seemed to have followed us all the way to the shores of Mesaniskia.

Only Kobe is there at the landing strip to greet us, umbrella in hand, a single large black SUV parked in the distance. He helps us unload our belongings and politely greets our two new guests.

"Gnarly scar," he points out about Ganzorig.

I lightly punch my brother's shoulder in disapproval and he flinches.

"I meant that it looks cool, Rio," he replies, but apologizes nonetheless. "Miss Greywood," he says next, standing up straighter and beaming his pearly whites at her. "Do you remember me?"

Bianca raises her brows but nods in confirmation.

"Of course, Kobe," she answers.

"Well, now that you're back on the market, perhaps I can take you out when all this is over?"

Ganzorig's laughter is piercing as he shakes his head and walks away to help Alex unload Valentina's body. Bianca, naturally follows to watch over the unloading in a concern she fought to conceal since we left Bhutan. I sigh in pity for my brother.

"What did I do?" he asks, genuinely puzzled for who shoots down a Lycan prince.

"I don't think you're her type, buddy," I tell him, leaving him further puzzled. "Where's everybody else anyway?"

"Oh, managing the crisis at home."

After a quick reacquaintance, I decide it best to continue the pleasantries later. My body itches to get to work. I tell Alex to sit in front with Kobe as I take this short ride as an opportunity to hold Astrid before the worst of the storm hits us. I wrap myself around her rosy scent and try not to shoot Kobe too many dirty looks as he gets distracted by our two guests sitting at the back of the SUV, more so Bianca than the scar-faced Ganzorig.

Meanwhile, I make sure the trailer carrying Valentina's frozen body is still in place every few minutes. Bianca does the same herself.

Soon enough, we reach the familiar trio of black domes marking the family home and the Alpha's quarters. Kobe leads us to the grand hall to the left of the main entrance. He knocks distinctly on the doors, which are locked. Demi answers, her glasses askew on her face and her shaggy blond hair looking frizzier than ever.

"Thank Goddess you've made it," she says, welcoming me back with a hug. "Alpha Volkov is upstairs with your mother."

"What happened?"

"The reinforcements I had sent to Russia came back with a handful of survivors including him."

"His family?"

Demi shakes her head slowly.

A memory flashes of the time I had visited Crimson Storm with my late father and the quiet evening we spent in Viktor Volkov's garden with his wife and two kids. They were teenagers, just about ready for their first shift. Their lives and countless others are at stake if we don't get a move on.

"Then we have no time to waste."

We enter the grand hall, whose bright open windows are covered in sheets. At the centre of the room, the three mages are standing, quietly drawing runes and enchantments on the floor. I had already arranged for all of this as we left Bhutan, hoping to fast track the release of the Moon Goddess as soon as we landed in Mesaniskia.

Alex and Ganzorig usher in the body bag containing Valentina's frozen body. I close and lock the door behind them as well as all other doors and windows in this room. Keeping it dark and free of natural light. In spite of the clouded skies and the brewing storm outside, I hope this is enough to keep the First Son from escaping, should our first line of magical defence fail.

As Souleymane, Helena and Iona finish the enchantments, Valentina's body is taken out of the bag.

"Careful," Bianca mumbles as Alex and Ganzorig place her in the middle of the circular enchantments.

Souleymane, clad in a black robe with a particularly grim look on his face, approaches Astrid and I.

"Welcome back Rio, Astrid," he greets us and shakes his head. "I know this must be done, but I have a bad feeling."

"There's a lot of that going around," I respond. "Which is precisely why we need to end this now."

"I agree, but have you given a thought as to the type of dark energy you have invited into our land should we fail?"

Astrid watches me worriedly, her mouth slightly agape.

"Then we won't fail."

"Souleymane is right," Astrid grabs my arm, her nails pricking me. "Are we rushing into this?"

"Every moment we hesitate, the First Son's power grows," I state. "There's no room for slowing down anymore."

With my words, Souleymane firmly nods and rejoins the circle. I take Astrid's hand and lead her out of the grand hall. Alex follows us out, leaving Demi to seal the hall in, while Alex serves as bodyguard as Astrid and I attempt to contact both the Moon and Sun Goddess in the isolation of my tower.

While I push aside the rapidly growing fear and anticipation in my body, I am greatly aware of what Souleymane had said. I lead the three of us through the empty hallways and garden leading to my residence. All nonessential staff have been dismissed today, owing to the great risk that might be incurred if the ritual is interrupted in any way. And Goddess, do I hope it runs smoothly.

As we ascend the main entryway, we enter the living room where I order Alex to stay put and signal Demi to resuscitate Valentina's body in five minutes as I take Astrid further up my tower to my bedroom. She slowly enters and looks around, which is when I realize this is the first time she has stepped into my home and, boy, do I wish the circumstances were different.

"So, this is your room," she says, examining its grey walls and minimal design.

"Welcome," I nervously run my hand through my hair, abruptly aware of Astrid's approval or disapproval. "We can change a few things if you don't like how it looks."

She smiles sweetly and sits on my bed, a hand tapping the space next to her.

"We'll talk about it later," she responds.

I sit next to Astrid and pull her in for one last kiss and savor every moment of it. The taste of her, the smell of her, the feel of her. I clutch onto the small of her back with one hand and the nape of her neck with the other, pulling her closer into me. I keep telling myself this will be over soon, and yet my body acts like this could be the last time she and I would be like this for a while.

And then I blurt it out.

"Astrid, I love you."

Astrid pulls away with a gasp, her eyes quickly darting away. She purses her lips and I know she isn't going to say it back.

"Rio, I..."

"It's okay if you're not ready, but I just wanted you to know."

She nods and leans back. Astrid lays her head down on one side, while I lay mine on the other. I hold her hand, which she squeezes back, and she holds her breath. Then she lets it go and shuts her eyes. I do the same and dive into the dark recesses of my mind.