Chapter 2 - Rio

I can't believe I let Alex talk me into this.

There my Beta is doing body shots off of two identical looking witches, having the time of his life, and here I am sitting alone, sipping my whiskey neat with an unshakable twitching in my leg.

Alex was curious about this vampire-owned establishment that apparently hosts all sorts of supernatural folks. I thought it beneath me to even attend as soon as I heard 'vampire-owned', but I must admit I was a little curious.

He comes over, his chest drenched and shirt half-open, with an idiotically pleased look on his face. The music in this club is so horribly loud and the strobe lights are so blinding, I almost miss what he's saying.

"Come do shots with us, Rio!" he shouts over the music.

"No." I raise a curt hand to let him know I'm not interested in joining his shenanigans.

The whites of Alex's eyes as he rolls them back appear as though he's been possessed by a drunken god, which he has. I stand up, shake off the twitching in my leg and proceed to walk forward towards the bar and towards the identical witches, who are smiling seductively at me and biting their lips.

"Shots! Shots! Shots!" I hear Alex's incessant chanting following behind me.

But just before the bar, I take a sharp 90 degree turn and continue on.

"Rio!" he shouts after me, but the loud electronic music quickly fades him out.

I enter the dimly lit men's room to splash some water on my face and look back at my reflection from the bathroom mirror. My heterochromic eyes are blue and black and I look deeply into the black eye. This is a trait passed on from Alpha to Alpha in Midnight Shadow, my Lycan pack. The black Alpha eye is said to be the window through which the Moon Goddess gazes at the world. I stare at it, demanding for some peace and tranquillity.

I need to calm down.

There are many a stimulus in this nightclub that could be the cause of my agitation, but none of them are the main cause of my worry. It's not the awful music, nor the stereotypical red-colored décor of an edgy vampire-owned nightclub. It's not all the aroused females who graze their hands on me, nor the witch twins who've been eye-fucking me all night. It's not Alex's annoying party-boy habits, nor his constant hollering.

It's the fact that she, the Moon Goddess herself, did not give me a destined.

The door swings open behind me and I glare at the man's eyes through the mirror.

"Out." I command him.

One look at my mismatched eyes and he knows better than to disobey my order. He retraces his steps.

I douse my face in more water as I sigh heavily. I can blame the Goddess as much as I want, but I can't refuse my mother's wishes. This past year was a difficult one for all of us because we lost our Alpha, Maximus Xenakis, my father.

In the wake of his death, my father left me the responsibility of overseeing all of Mighty Five, which is a heavy implication for one so under-prepared as I. With a large inheritance that leads back to maybe thousands of years ago and the added management of other wolf packs, i feel I haven't had any time to catch my breath.

Then there's my mother, who, in her inconsolable grief and paranoia fearing the loss of our bloodline, insisted that I marry. Lucky for her, the daughter of Silver Bow is just the right age for it, though 21 seems a bit immature to me. She isn't a Lycan, but she will do.