Chapter 33 - Astrid

"We need to be careful and smart about tracking Valentina," Rio declares as we make our way back to Guru's residence.

I watch as he walks ahead of me with Alex on one side and Guru on the other, absentmindedly biting my lip at the racy memories from a few hours before. His mark throbs and I palm it to ease the heat, suddenly aware that everybody will know what we did and how I got this.

But now's not the time to think about that as I shake my head and look all around me.

The devastation that impacted Sanctuary last night is hard to take in. Not only do the survivors trudge along the ashes from the fires that caught around their underground town hall, but even more tragic are those mourning at the loss of family from the unprecedented vampire attacks. I turn my gaze downward hoping nobody catches onto my now golden eye; there is a time for hope and a time for mourning.

Ahead of me, Rio is discussing the dire news he had just heard from Demi about the attacks on Crimson Storm and those sweeping across the middle east. He looks back at me frowning and sighs knowing that the Sun Goddess told me not to warn the other packs of the Mighty Five.

"I will keep Demi updated," he says. "But she won't know the rest of it. Fortunately, our fighters are always prepared for the worst. I hope the other packs' defences will hold them out till we find Valentina."

From my periphery, I notice Bianca swallowing hard. I worry for my parents back in Silver Bow.

"I'm sorry for everything," she quietly tells me.

I sigh. "I won't say it's okay, but I will say that the best thing to do now is look forward."

"Got it," she replies. "Congratulations, by the way."

She gestures at my neck and I reflexively try to cover it with the collar of my sweater. The redness of my face quickly intersperses to reach my ears and I laugh nervously.

"Thanks," I reply, avoiding eye contact.

Were this any other setting or occasion, I would have giddily told my best friend everything about my experience with the Lycan Alpha. The thing is, not only is he standing within earshot, but I'm still not ready to forgive Bianca for everything, and that's got my walls raise up a little.

"I'm happy for you, Astrid. I really am."

"I...I don't know if I can say the same to you," I bite my tongue, internally cursing at how horrible that sounded.

"It's okay," she nods. "I can't expect everyone to understand that I've changed."

I sigh, mincing over her words. Bianca seems so sure about this sudden change. I should at least be okay with it as a best friend. The last time something like this happened was when she announced her engagement to Rio, and I let it come between our friendship for so long that our last moments in Silver Bow were really shitty.

"You know what, I need to be happy for you too, B," I tell her as her eyes brighten up. "You're crazy for wanting to be a Sigma, but I guess I'm happy for you."

"Thanks?" she chuckles.

"The world as we know it may very well end soon and I'd hate to leave things on a sour note between us."

I look at her glassy green eyes. She purses her lips and nods in agreement. The movement of her unevenly trimmed blonde hair catches my eye.

"And maybe I'll clean up some of this," I say, flicking away a blonde lock.

She smiles and abashedly covers her face with her hands.

"I'll admit this was an impulsive decision," she shrugs.