Chapter 36 - Bianca

After a short rest, we make our way into the midnight landscape.

Rio and I had a long debate about our mode of travel. I insisted that we go beast mode so we could make full use of our heightened senses. He, however, reminded me that we needed something to transport Valentina back in and that would be a tad more time consuming if we didn't have our hands to help. Astrid pointed out the pickup truck parked out front and Rio added that he called Alex to send a helicopter at the break of dawn. In my annoyance, I quipped of how useless all this chatter was if they were already so prepared.

Their conversation and the million little details had me in a mood so I took off in my wolf and they followed with bags and hands and whatever else. I shook my head thinking how useful a truck might be on a steep incline and jagged terrain.

All that doubt fades away about 3 hours into the chase when a blizzard unexpectedly hits.

I look back to see how far the truck is, but my vision is greatly obstructed by the snow and the haziness all around me. So, I continue onwards having no other choice but to.

That's when the distinct stench of death hits.

I crouch low, thankful for the snowy cover, trying to sense out how many of the undead are up ahead. The lack of light adds to my blindness, but I do make out some distinct movement. A low growl turns louder along with its footsteps crunching through the snow. I crane my ears to listen for more. Before I can make out at least two others, a hand swipes at my face.

The vampire is close enough for me to see him and only him, but I worry about the surprise attacks that may follow. I manoeuvre quickly to snap his neck, which leads to another vampire coming into view. The dance continues on and on until the sound of an engine echoes through the night air and a bit of light reveals another village home in front of me.

I hear a door open and shut as two feet turns to four and a tiger emerges beside me. The truck swiftly moves forward through the village where more growls and snarls can be heard. Astrid and I follow suit, cleansing this unfortunate village of the fate it has been dealt.

For the next hour, the number of vampires increases. For what it's worth, the blizzard lets up to snow falling softly all around as I notice the houses increase in floors and stories, upgrading in material and style from wood to concrete. The truck comes to a stop at the second three-storied building as Rio turns the engine off. I walk up to his window enquiring what he sees up ahead.

"I think we've reached a town or city of some sort," he says. "We'll be outnumbered if we continue like this."

I gaze at the empty road up ahead. the buildings are quiet for the most part, but the smell of vampires is hard to miss. Somehow, I know that if we continue, if we can just get over this hurdle, that we'll find Valentina.

"If you insist," Rio breaks me out of my thoughts. "And you think we're headed in the right direction, then I'll drive them out."

Rio tightens his grip on the steering wheel, but a hand stops him before he reaches for the ignition.

"Wait," Astrid says, suddenly shifted back, her back very bare and very naked before me.

She leans in for what I can only presume to be a kiss. I walk away not only to look away at the woman who could never be mine, but also to give them some privacy. They snuck in a whole lot of these small intimate moments back at the house we were sheltered in. Did they think I couldn't hear them? If I could turn red right now, I would, knowing that Rio knows about the secret crush I had been harboring over Astrid. But I shake my head. These stupid feelings are what got me and everyone else into this mess in the first place.