Chapter 12 - Rio

When we reach the Silver Bow exit gate, the guards are understandably hesitant in allowing our escape. Astrid attempts to talk to her fellow pack members without outright stating our business, but is met with frosty looks.

It only takes one hard look at my black Alpha eye for the gate to open.

"You did ask for my help and that is what I'm doing," I comment. "Helping."

Astrid silently sighs in protest in the backseat.

"Does everybody in Silver Bow regard you and your family with such...warmth?"

"The guards were just doing their job," she replies dryly.

"So, it isn't because you're a tiger?"

She scoffs and through the rear-view, I watch as she rolls her eyes and shakes her head, hands crossed in annoyance.

And for the rest of the ride, she is mostly quietly seething in the backseat, a habit I've noticed has begun to develop. Alex occasionally quips a one-liner or two in Greek about how much he's looking forward to bringing Astrid back home. He is a half-blood Lycan, his father being French. I imagine he's looking forward to another foreign individual joining the pack.

I check my watch when we finally arrive at a lone building in a deserted area. Gilbert Greywood must be scrambling by now with the gala program almost over. Perhaps he's already sent a search party for us. Maybe even thinks we kidnapped his daughter.

"We should hurry," I suggest as Alex parks. "Alpha Greywood may think we're conspiring."

By the looks of it, Oscura has just opened its doors with scant customers eyeing the three of us as we enter in our formal attire. Astrid leads us into the VIP lounge with no objection met from the large and bald bouncer, and strides right up to the door in the very back. She swings the door wide open.

Valentina de la Mort is sitting at her desk looking rather sullen. She gasps mid-drink and spills thick red liquid down her velvet tracksuit, though it barely stains as her clothes are black.

"Can't say I wasn't expecting this ambush, but a little knock would have been much appreciated," she says as she gets up to clean the blood.

"Where's Bianca?" Astrid demands.

"How would I know?"

"Oh, cut the bullshit, Valentina. I know you were seeing each other."

That is news to everybody else in the room including Valentina herself. The daughter of Silver Bow, a lover of women. Perhaps it was only natural given how oppressively patriarchal Gilbert Greywood seemed.

Valentina tilts her head towards Alex and cocks a brow. He takes the signal and shuts the office door. Then the vampiress sighs and shrugs as she begins removing the stained velvet hoodie to reveal a short sleeveless top underneath. Her right arm is covered in a serpentine tattoo.

"So, the Princess's tiger pet knows all about her dirty little secret," Valentina chuckles.

"My name is Astrid," Astrid replies through gritted teeth. "And what kind of a best friend would I be if I didn't know?"

Valentina throws her head back and laughs.

"Oh, honey. But you don't know everything."

Valentina looks back at me and grins mischievously like there's a supposed joke I am to catch between us. Then she looks back at Astrid. A half-thought forms in my mind.

"Then tell me where she is," Astrid growls.

"I've never seen eyes like that," Valentina observes of Astrid's glowing yellow eyes. "It's cute."