Chapter 10 - Astrid

I don't know why I'm running anymore, only that I have to.

I'd shift out of my human form if I wasn't wearing Bianca's skirt, which is probably more expensive than half my closet. I go as far as my wobbled sea legs can carry me, weathering through this storm because I'm in it now.

The trees are thick all around, looming over me ominously. Violet wildflowers cover my path, dizzying my every step as the grass surrounding them grows taller and taller until I trip over an unseen badger hole. There is an audible sharp click as my knees buckle and I yell out in pain.

A pair of strong hands grab me from under my back and knees, carrying me over to the base of a large tree. I look up and pain turns to fury as I reflexively slap the man squatting beside me. He barely reacts, but does examine my ankle and I wince.

"Never run in tall grass," the Lycan Alpha's tone is level with concern. "You're lucky it's only a bad sprain."

"What is wrong with you?" I blurt out the question that has laid on the tip of my tongue since his arrival at the Greywoods'.

"Me? What is wrong with you?" he sneers.

"Who do you think you are just strolling in here and wreaking havoc?"

"I have not wrought any havoc, Astrid. I am here doing the right thing."

"Goddess! You are so arrogant."

"And what is arrogant about sparing the Greywoods any more false hope? What is arrogant about very clearly stating my intentions to be with my destined?"

"That you'd even think I would accept you!"

My last word echoes through the woods rather melodramatically, the sound waves rippling through the shaking trees as a chilly spring breeze blows on my face.

For a minute, the Lycan Alpha looks hurt. Then, he does the thing that he likes to apparently do even after I've shown my frustration with him. He kisses me.

Even in my rage, I am taken aback. Maybe it's the cool minty musk I breathed in when I gasped. It snakes into my brain and clouds my thoughts, leaving behind only feelings of anger, exasperation, surrender and desire. I mindlessly grab onto his neck tightly as he grabs my waist in response, which takes me out of my trance when my sprained ankle moves and throbs.

We break away, his signature smug smile making an appearance once again.

"I think the problem is that you are not aware yet that you want to accept me," his voice is breathy, just about an inch away from my face.

The eye of the storm can be calm and deceptive.

I push him off and attempt to stand up while holding onto the tree behind me. He tries to help, but an animalistic growl rises from my chest.

We look at each other for a moment, his mismatched eyes trying to decipher me. And I remember Bianca. I detest this unspoken thing between the Lycan Alpha and I that always seems to make me forget about everything and everyone else.

"What about Bianca?" I naively ask, as if he has any power or say in what happens now.

"You heard what her father said. Now she can wait for her destined. Isn't that better?"

I suppose that is the better outcome and perhaps she will be able to rule beside her destined right here in Silver Bow and all will be well again. Nobody will be leaving then.

I simply nod.

"Then you'll return to Midnight Shadow?"

"Yes. With you."

Even as the question left my lips, I knew how stupidly presumptuous I was being. Of course, wolves go to their mate's territories to live out the rest of their days. But I am no wolf. I am a tiger. That's the only part that has my sanity clinging on to not be devoured by this strange and hypnotic destiny bond.

"No."

"What?"

"I'm not coming with you." I hobble away, the throbbing pain of my sprained ankle finally settling down. "Why would I want to go live in a place where destined mates are never allowed to return to their homeland? To an exclusive place where there are more pompous jerks like you expecting everybody to bow down to the Moon Goddess's favorite, special people. And, the place that never returns my sister's requests for history books and other such information to help her write her stupid wolf book!"

"Astrid," he follows just a step behind me, "I assure you that we Lycans are not like that at all. As for your family, you may visit them at any time. As for the pompous jerks comment, yes, you may run into some, but we are honest and hardworking. And as for your sister, I will personally ensure that she gets the books she needs. Just listen to me."

He grabs my wrist and I wince at the abrupt stop.

"Come home with me and be my Luna."

"Luna?" my voice cracks a little as I continue on my way home. "I'm not even a wolf! I will not be a Luna!"

"Then would you live out the rest of your days in Silver Bow following a pecking order that stifles what greatness you could achieve?"

"Who's to say that I won't fall into a pecking order if I go with you?"

"Astrid," I hear his voice right next to my ear, which startles me a little. "I will let you do what you want to do, and be who you want to be. Just...be with me."

I scoff. He will let me? What an infuriatingly conceited man.

"No."

I keep walking, limping away now towards the direction of my house. At first, I hear his footsteps still following, but after a few seconds they stop.

After a while, I'm finally left alone, trudging onwards till the quaint 2-storied house I've always called home comes into view. I enter through the backdoor to find An holding up a mass of georgette in lilac.

"Oh, Astrid," she calls as I head upstairs. "Our dresses arrived from the tailor. I kept yours on your bed."

When I shut my bedroom door behind me, there laying on my bed is the custom one-shouldered black gown I had ordered from the pack tailor. I throw it on the ground and crash face first onto soft sheets.

Is the gala night still on considering all the commotion of the past hour? Do I still have to go? Will Alpha Smug even be allowed in?

The answer to all these is probably obvious and unchanged.

How important can one broken engagement really be to upturn the flow of events? Especially when divine intervention is involved.

I groan into my pillow. Why couldn't I just be a normal tiger living my normal life free from things like stupid pecking orders and godly interference and 'mates'?

I reach over the bedside table for my phone and realize it must have fallen when I sprained my ankle. Shit! That pompous Lycan better not have picked it up in the hope of returning it to me like Cinderella's glass slipper.

I quickly strip my clothes off and jump out of my window while shifting in mid-air. In spite of my sprained ankle, felines always land on their feet, though I flinch at the sharp pain when I land. But that's nothing a little shaking off won't temporarily fix.

I go back to the spot, not too far from the Greywood residence where violet wildflowers grow, engaging my enhanced sense of smell. I try to concentrate through the residual lovely minty scent of the Lycan Alpha only to sniff out dirt and grass.

I heave a heavy sigh and dread inevitably running into those blue-black eyes later this evening.