Chapter 1 - Astrid

I watch quietly from the empty front row as she quietly sings:

"We who run towards the sun;

We who beckon to the moon;

We the Mighty Five in one;

Our strength in unity."

The band behind her starts to accompany her on the next verse as she rocks back and forth, her bouncy blonde hair shrouding her in a golden cloud.

"We who never lose the fight;

We, ferocious, strong, and true.

The Mighty Five will seize the night;

The children of the moon.

Midnight Shadow, Violet Moon,

Golden Heart, Crimson Storm,

Silver Bow, the five in one;

Our strength in unity."

Bianca Greywood begins the song anew, this time tapping into her diaphragm and singing with more gusto. She is my best friend, the Alpha's daughter, rehearsing for tomorrow night's gala dinner where all of the Mighty Five wolf packs of the East Coast are meeting.

This year, Silver Bow is hosting the event.

As she draws out the last word and the last note, the drums end on a crash cymbal and she looks down at me expectantly.

"That was...okay" I unwillingly give my feedback.

In fact, I lied. Bianca was great.

"Come on, Astrid! Stop busting my balls," Bianca throws her hands up in frustration, eyeing me intensely with her piercing green eyes. "At least, give me something to work with. Anything!"

I sigh. "Fine, work on your breathing in the chorus. You're slacking."

She smirks. "Oh, so you are a credible music teacher."

I roll my eyes and shrug.

I am Astrid Lee, 21-year-old music teacher of the pack school, a 5th generation tiger in Silver Bow and best friend to Bianca Greywood.

It was an accidental friendship of sorts.

When Alpha Gilbert Greywood, Bianca's father, decided it was time for his one and only daughter to begin combat training, he thought it an opportune moment to pit his young and inexperienced daughter against an opponent who would put her at a disadvantage. That opponent was me.

Among the deplorable things in her training included me chasing her in tiger form and scratching her up in hand-to-hand combat. I hated hurting her and she hated getting hurt. Over time, that builds a certain unbreakable bond and camaraderie between two people.

So, you could say I was more than utterly shocked and angry to hear from Bianca that she was engaged to be the chosen mate of the young Lycan Alpha, Rio Xenakis of Midnight Shadow.

The Lycans are as close to royalty as it gets in the supernatural world. With their roots in Ancient Greece, some say the Greek Gods were legendary Lycans, whose vast power and influence caused laymen to make up such fables in their awe and wonder.

But to me, the Lycans have always been arrogant and condescending leaders of the Mighty Five. They lead and instruct the other four packs of the Mighty Five in administrative policies and other business, meanwhile leading secret lives in their island territory that is said to be magically sealed off from any visitors. For all I know, the Lycans could be squandering their money away and be living in absolute poverty.