Prologue

Centuries ago, the Moon Goddess created two races: the wolves and the vampires.

They were mighty adversaries but each came with their own flaws. The wolves were too temperamental while the vampires were too cold. They were equal opposites. Fire and ice.

And so, the Goddess decided to create a new warrior race from the wolves and the vampires called the Lycans. These new hybrids were blessed with the vampires' super speed and the wolves' ability to shapeshift, and they quickly became the apex predators with no other supernatural beings opposing their reign.

They were perfection in the Goddess's eyes.

She nurtured the Lycans unlike her children before them, who, left neglected, grew in their jealousy of her perfect creations.

The wolves, in their temperamental states, divided and shrank in numbers. The wolves especially suffered as they did not have a great leader to unite them, but only small packs muddled in petty territorial disputes.

Meanwhile, the vampires, cool and cunning, waited and plotted in the darkness. Their numbers grew quickly and quietly during times of numerous human wars. A great leadership had begun to take shape under the command of a very old vampire in Europe, who was said to be the Moon Goddess's very first creation, her First Son.

In his jealousy, the First Son targeted his armies to his mother's favorite children, the Lycans.

The Moon Goddess, who had been watching all the while from her heavenly abode with great sadness and anger, decided to enlist the help of the wolves for the Lycans' cause. However, as a result of the years of neglect, the damage to the wolves' fragile ego had been done.

She turned to her sister, the Sun Goddess, whose domain was the east, as the Moon Goddess's was the west. The Sun Goddess agreed to help her sister in her time of need by sending a clan of tigers to aid the Lycans, and they emerged victorious, driving the First Son and his armies back into the darkness.

Meanwhile, the Sun Goddess, who had always yearned to create new races of her own, just like her sister, was deeply jealous of the latter's success. The Sun Goddess tapped into one of the gifts her sister made for her creations, the destiny bond, to bring together a Lycan and a tigress. The pair had successfully mated and were expecting a baby quickly.

Elated by her success, the Sun Goddess proceeded to bring together another pair through the destiny bond: a wolf and a tigress.

But with every passing hour she spent in the west, her powers slowly weakened so she returned to the east to come back another day.

Eventually, Moon Goddess caught wind of what her sister was up to. She infiltrated the Lycan's dreams and possessed him to murder his wife in cold blood. When the Lycan came to his senses, in a bout of grief, he took his own life, too.

At the same time that this was happening, the wolf's younger brother was jealous of his brother's beautiful tigress. In a fit of rage, he murdered them both by poison in their sleep.

Pleased at this, the Moon Goddess blessed the younger brother to rise as a great Alpha wolf.

When the Sun Goddess returned to the west to see the progress of her little experiment, she was horrified at the fate her pairings had suffered. In her wrath, she snapped her fingers and eradicated her sister's precious Lycan packs until only one was left.

Catching wind of her sister's fury, the Moon Goddess pleaded to spare her wolves. The Sun Goddess yielded and withdrew her snap of death since her sister did not directly interfere with the wolves, but on the condition that two of her tiger warriors and their wives could stay behind under the protection of the wolves. The Moon Goddess agreed only if the Sun Goddess promised not to return.

And so, the Sun Goddess left.

Fearing that one day her sister might return, the Moon Goddess combined all the wolf packs into four, with the Lycan pack as their central leaders, lording over the wolves but equally seeking refuge in their numbers. These were Violet Moon, Golden Heart, Crimson Storm, Silver Bow and Midnight Shadow, the last remaining Lycan pack in the world.

For years, the descendants of the tigers would fall in love with humans and the Moon Goddess was pleased. As a result, she went back to her old ways, nurturing her favoured race, the Lycans, and, over time, paid no heed to the tigers, nor to the wolves or the vampires.

As the human race settled into times of peace, so did the Lycans, the vampires and the wolves. The tigers also thrived in their new environment. By proximity, their habits changed as they found themselves assimilating to the wolves' pecking order.

The Sun Goddess, who could not return to the west, only quietly watched.

And she was pleased.