Chapter 35 - Bianca

After running as far and as fast as my four legs can mindlessly carry me, I rest in between two large mountain bodies, snow and rocks under my calloused paws. The panting lets me catch my breath, but also ensures that I've still got Valentina's scent cycling through my nose and mouth, in a way, tasting the air to verify that I am following the correct trail. But in doing so, I also taste another, sweeter, familiar scent.

Astrid is not too far behind, though it will take her and Rio a while to catch up to me. Despite my size, I easily outran even the Lycan Beta when I first got a grip on Valentina's throat.

I shake my head, remembering how she begged for me to help her. Naively, I fell for it, till I realized it was a gimmick the First Son had employed to distract me for just a while and Ganzorig paid the heavy price for it.

In that moment, my guilt resurged harder for a second wave. The First Son had manipulated my feelings towards Valentina when he possessed her body for the first time. And he used it again to get me to ease off my grip on her neck.

It makes me wonder if he was behind the day I ran away from Silver Bow. How long has his hold on me lasted?

And how long will I let it?

I chew on a bit of snow, replenishing my body with the melted water in my mouth. Then I carry on.

The terrain from here on out is much more treacherous than the one I left behind. There are no more forests to hide behind, except in the far distance where the mountains dip down and I see a small village, smoke from the warm houses billowing out into the wind. The odd mix of the blinding sun and the stark, cold air has my furry body twisted up in its response to my environment. I pant not only from the heat of the sun, but from the shock of the cold.

As I let my legs carry me forward with my nose as its guiding compass, I realize I'm headed for those small houses in the distance. For one, at least the houses are sparse and the First Son wouldn't be foolish enough to turn those humans into newborns, not when the sun is beating down on us. However, I mustn't forget that, although he may be some sort of godly presence, he is still, to his very core, a sinister, evil, blood-thirsty vampire.

When I dive into the cover of the forest, my legs feel the exhaustion from the chase. But there's no time to think about exhaustion or the growing hunger in my stomach and the whiff of some small mammal I sense scuttering away nearby.

A scream alerts my ears and I sprint forward faster, hoping I have enough energy left to take down the First Son.

I reach the outskirts of this village, to find before me, a large black cloud. I crouch low, pondering my next move, for there's nothing much I can do against an intangible thing like a cloud. Soon, the cloud moves on, shrouding another house, then another, and another, as a woman and child, run screaming to get away from it. In horror, I watch as the cloud devours them both, their bodies falling dead in an instant.

I tremble in fear witnessing before me the true extent of the First Son's powers. He was just toying with us before, when he could have drained us of all life in an instant. As the black cloud flies away, having devastated this small village, I wonder for what purpose he could have led us on, especially me. Why toy with my emotions?

Listening for the coast to be clear, I hesitantly investigate the house nearby. I avert my eyes at the sight before me, though a second was enough to capture the horrific scene of the family laid dead over the dining table. The smell of the freshly cooked lunch makes my stomach growl and I huff in guilt at the sick thought. One of the bodies twitches.

I feel sick knowing what must be done.

Quickly before they turn, I drag their bodies out into the sun to let the light take care of the rest of it. I haul their bodies out and move on to the next house, blocking my thoughts and my conscience from scarring me further.