Muted Tones - fluff

Words: 1113

Temporary title, may change later on

Human Underswap, mute!Mettaton

Please let me know if I write anything wrong here, I just came up with this idea today and did a bit of research around mutism and what I've written is based on what I found out, but please, if any part of this is offensive, bad representation or anything else along those lines, please let me know, either in a message or in a comment, so I can take this chapter down since I don't want to encourage incorrect representation or cause offence to any readers

Thank you, and please enjoy

Papyrus grins to himself, his eyes focused on his computer screen, relaying instructions to his teammates through the mic on his headphones, until he feels a slight pressure on his knees beneath the desk. Flinching from surprise and flicking his mic up to silence himself in the chat, he looks beneath the desk, coming face to face with Mettaton, who stares up at him with wide, innocent eyes. Papyrus smiles softly, laying one arm across the edge of the desk and setting his forehead down against it, keeping his gaze on his boyfriend, who looks back.

"Hello. I wondered where you had gotten to, kitten." His voice is gentle as he reaches his spare hand out, running his fingers through Mettaton's soft, black hair. The shorter boy smiles in response, his eyes closing slightly, and Papyrus kisses his fingertips before pressing them to his boyfriend's forehead, too far away to kiss him directly. Mettaton's grin only widens in response, and Papyrus can feel a smile of his own pulling at his lips, sitting upright again. The pressure on his knees increases, and he manages to spot Mettaton laying his chin down on his thighs, and Papyrus reaches under the desk to caress his exposed cheek with his thumb.

"Don't worry, I won't be playing late." Papyrus feels Mettaton nod against his knees and pulls his hand back after the shorter boy presses a gentle kiss to the back of it, tilting his head slightly to get comfortable.

"Hey Papyrus, you still there?" The bold voice echoes in his ears as he flicks the microphone back down, nodding before remembering his friends can't see him while playing.

"Yeah, sorry, my boyfriend is just being adorable again." A gentle tap against his lower leg makes Papyrus chuckle, and a soft 'aw' just manages to make it through the mic.

"I was about to ask how you two are doing, sounds like you're still going strong." Papyrus can almost hear the grin on Alphys' face in her tone of voice, and he rolls his eyes before replying.

"Yep."

"When will we get to talk to him?" Papyrus' breath catches in his throat and he feels Mettaton sit up straighter beneath the table, his chin lifting and the sound of material shuffling against carpet makes its way up under all the noise. Mettaton stands, his head laying on Papyrus' shoulder, hearing his friends' voices overlap in his headphones.

"I'm not sure, probably not tonight though, sorry folks. Metta's had quite a long day, he's pretty tired." Mettaton waves to get his boyfriend's attention, signing to him.

'Have you not told them yet?' Papyrus flicks up his mic again, stopping his voice from travelling through to his friends.

"I didn't think you wanted me to, you said you were uncomfortable with them knowing just yet." Mettaton nods in response before taking a deep breath.

'I think I'm ready for them to know, are you in a video call with them?'

"Yeah, but our cameras are off while we play, so we can't see each other. Do you want me to call everyone back into the video lobby after this game so you can talk to them?" Mettaton nods, his eyes pleading, and Papyrus agrees.

"Folks, after this round, all go back to the video lobby, if that's alright with everyone?" A chorus of agreements comes back, and Mettaton's lips lift into a smile, stepping behind Papyrus and wrapping his arms around his neck, resting his chin on the top of his head and watching him finish the game. As agreed, the others return to the video lobby at the end of the round, and Mettaton leans in close to Papyrus' headphones to better hear his friends chatter.

When Papyrus' video feed turns back on, a wave of noise and wide eyes greet the two at the sight of Mettaton, who fights down a blush as he waves nervously to the group. A swarm of noise fills Papyrus' headphones almost immediately. Mettaton takes a second deep breath as he leans forward a fraction and starts typing into the chat function.

papyrus: Hi everyone, I'm Mettaton. (19:21)

The response is a bunch of noise, the voices overlapping excitedly. Mettaton flinches slightly as Papyrus pulls the headphones off, holding them in his hands between the two boys, turning down the volume a bit as he does so. Finally, the sounds die down, and one person, a girl with spiked blonde hair and gleaming hazel eyes, speaks up again.

"Don't feel like speaking? That's alright, Paps told us you've had a long day. No worries."

papyrus: Not quite, the truth is I'm mute. I just didn't really want people to know. (19:22)

Someone else, another girl, but with bright red hair pulled up into a bun and bright green eyes behind square-framed glasses, leans forward and types something out. Mettaton watches the typing bubble nervously.

Undyne: Would you prefer if we typed as well? Or are you okay with us speaking? (19:22)

Mettaton bites back a small smile as he types a response, glad for the reception he seems to be getting.

papyrus: Personally, I don't mind, it's up to you. Most people I meet prefer to talk, but I really don't mind what you do, whether it's sign, type, speak or anything else. Thank you for asking though, I don't actually get that much. (19:22)

Undyne nods in response, and the group spend a few more minutes chatting and typing among themselves, Papyrus at some point gently pulling Mettaton down into his lap, causing Undyne to squeak quietly. A few eyebrows were raised at that, and Mettaton had sighed internally - there's their first fangirl. Papyrus, on the other hand, had simply laughed along with a couple of the others, including his brother Sans, who Mettaton recognised after a few minutes of talking to him, and Undyne had blushed in response, ducking her head.

By 19:45, however, Mettaton has started to fall back against Papyrus' chest, curling into his warmth the best he can in the swivel chair, one of the taller boy's arms gently wrapped around his waist. The rest of the group agree to end the call, and farewells are said, Mettaton waving from his seat in Papyrus' lap, before leaning back once more at the sound of the call ending, letting his eyes drift closed until he feels Papyrus tap gently at his arm.

"Come on, kitten, let's get some sleep." Mettaton nods, slowly getting up and stretching, Papyrus following suit, and within twenty minutes, the two fall into the sweet, calm embrace of rest, held close in each other's arms.

Okay so I know this was kinda short but this is probably the best I can do with this idea for now, I just thought it was kinda cute.

As I said before, please let me know if this is bad representation, offensive to anyone, or anything similar, either through a direct message or a comment on this chapter, and I'll take it down

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed

-XeroZero

[|87