Makeshift parents

No ship! All platonic!

Tysm to charlottesydx for the idea!!! It's a v good one and I hope I did it justice :) sorry it took so long! also I didn't stick to it strictly but I swear I tried! :-)

⚠️AGAIN COMPLETELY FICTIONAL, NOTHING IN THIS IS FACT⚠️

⚠️TW⚠️: financial stress, mentions of drugs and alcohol, toxic friendships, anxiety
please let me know if I'm missing any!

mostly light tbh, some hurt/comfort filtered through there.

Word count: 3627

—————————————————————

"His name's Harry, you've probably seen his channel? Wroetoshaw?" Josh says in the group call. The group have been playing call of duty for the last hour or so and were just beginning to finish up for the night.
"Yo his channel is doing bits right now!," JJ says, checking his phone before getting back to the game.
Josh hums in agreement, "and I've been speaking to him on a call every week or so, he's really nice," he says trying his best to win them over.
It's quiet for a minute and Josh wonders if he's really going to have to push this further.
"Yeah go on then," Ethan says rather bluntly but with no reluctance.
"Kid does bits and Josh likes him? Yeah he can join," Tobi says, Vik then agreeing with Tobi's sentiment.

"Who's he friends with? Do we know them?" Simon presses a little more out of curiosity.
"That's the thing, he's kind of gotten in with the wrong crowd. When we both went on that Las Vegas trip I brought him around with me and we got on really well," Josh explains, not wanting to give away the boys whole life story or struggles.
"Aight, I'm happy to let him join," Simon says and finally JJ agrees also.
"Great, I'll call him," Josh says, excited to get the boy away from the toxic group he'd been hanging out with.

When he got to properly talk to Harry on the Las Vegas trip just the two of them Harry explained to Josh that he didn't really like his friends. He knew they only used him for his money to buy drugs and alcohol. When Josh urged the boy to continue he explained tearily that he didn't want to use drugs or even drink, that in reality he was kind of just scared and didn't want to deny them so he wouldn't be alone and friendless 200 miles from home.
Josh knew he wasn't letting this boy go back to his so called 'friends,' immediately devising a plan to take the other under his wing. He was a good kid, just a little lost.

Josh disconnects from the game and gives Harry a call.

They had been texting a bit, mostly when Harry's housemates would go out and he'd feel guilty about staying home, Josh reassuring him it was the right thing to do.

"Looks like you're joining the sidemen," Josh smiles, skipping a hello to make way for the good news.
"Wait really? No way, are you being serious?" He asks, excitement clear in his tone.
Josh's grin widens, "yep, I talked to them all about it and everyone's on board."
Harry showers him in thank yous and Josh doesn't miss the relief in his voice.
"Have you thought any more about accommodation?" Josh asks.
"Yes! I'm actually moving in with calfreezy and callux in a few days, everything's been so busy I forgot to tell you," he explains.
They chat a bit more back and forth staying on the phone for a little while, Josh telling him about the boys while Harry continues to pack up his room.