"Thank you, Clarissa,"

"You're welcome, have a good week hunny,"

She took her bag out with her and shut the door behind her, walking with a little more light in her step. I was happy she trusted me now to tell me that, and it would help me understand her a little bit more.

All I wanted to do was understand my kids, and understand people, to help solve their problems. Not all- some problems didn't need me snooping around, but I was a doctor so it was my job to try and help people.

"Is everything okay, Mr Hood?"

"Yeah, I was just wondering, how soon do you think we can organise someone to come in for Rider?"

"I am not completely sure, but you will have to organise it through the school. They seem to be pretty good at these things,"

"Okay. Thank you,"

"That word 'no' really bugs Gia. I'm hoping I can help her become comfortable with it, it's quite an important word,"

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"For now, just keep doing what you're doing. She admires you. If there's any times where you say no, it can show her that there aren't going to be violent reactions,"

"Great, thank you,"

"Oh- one more thing. Ashton is a new name who popped up today, he is a family friend, right?"

"Yeah, Michael is too if she ever brings that up,"

"Just making sure. Thank you, Mr Hood,"

I shook her hand and left, Rider and Gia taking a hand each as I got to them. Sage trailed behind, walking slowly with their head down.

Something was up today, and I worried that everything had suddenly caught up with them. Or, it was surgery blues and I was being over observant.

They sat next to me in the car, Rider and Gia in the back, then I took us all back home. Having a full car was still weird to me, but it was nice to have a bigger family. I was growing used to it now, and though I had a long way to go in terms of managing my attention, it was fun.

When we got home, I handed Gia the key, and then got Sage to stay in the car to talk.

"I know you probably don't want to talk to me, but I am here if you need someone to talk to,"

They looked out their window and wiped their tears, scrunching their nose up.

"I was feeling better for a bit, when we came here, but now I feel sad again, even though I am glad we are here,"

"If I can support you in any way, let me know,"

"Okay,"

"Is there anything that you know calms you down? Any music?"

"Slow love ballads, and drawing,"

"Why don't you go and do some, and you can use my computer for some music?"

"I feel like I want to shower again,"

"You can have another one then while I am cooking. Then we can all eat together, and maybe we can start our show? My friend Mike is bringing over a duvet for Rider, that's our only plan,"

We went inside and they headed upstairs, so I went into the kitchen and began to prepare food.

Rider and Gia went past into the garden, playing with the football, so I put the radio in and relaxed.

Seeing them be so close with each other meant a lot, because it was evident at the start of Gia's time here that she wasn't great with other people. They were best friends, and I was filled with joy that they would have each other forever.

And I would be more than welcome to have Sage's friends round as often as they pleased if it meant they got to experience a similar thing. Sometimes it was important to have that time alone with people your own age, I felt.

I served up the food and called them in to wash their hands, then Sage came and sat at the table.

"Calum," they said quietly, "I have a rash on my arm,"

"Can I take a look?"

They nodded and pulled their sleeve up, watching me.

"Looks like eczema to me, have you had this before?"

"Lots,"

"Yeah. We will have some cream for it in the cupboard, don't worry about it darling,"

"Okay,"

"Was the shower okay? Was it warm enough?"

"Yeah,"

"Good. Gia, Rider, come on!"

Giggling, they ran inside and sat at the table, swinging their legs. And the smiles on their faces warmed my heart.

This was Rider's home, I felt it, and that made me happier than anything else in the world.

I hoped Sage would feel the same way soon, but I couldn't ignore the worry bottled up inside of me about their mental health.