Chapter 53 ~ Exposed

Marella's P.O.V

Everything had happened so fast. Both search groups had been together waiting for Keefe to come back and he never did until the next day.

He had rushed them with a very confusing explanation that drove everyone mad.

Apparently, he had gone behind everyone's back by secretly joining the Neverseen disguised as some person named Carter and this whole time he had been with them and knew where Sophie was.

Of course, everyone went ballistic and there was so much yelling about how he could have told everyone and there could have been a way to get Sophie back sooner.

But Keefe said there was no time, they had to propose a fight against the Neverseen in order to get Sophie back. And if that somehow didn't work, he had some plan B that had to do with some mystery kid.

It was too much— Marella's mind was already piled with too many things.

But now she had to clear her head more than ever.

Currently, Mr. Forkle was driving both search groups to the location where they would fight the Neverseen. Keefe instructed Mr. Forkle to propose it as part of the plan and now they just had to hope it worked.

Something told Marella that plan B wasn't too solid given that Keefe was being very vague about it.

The only people that weren't heading to the location were Grady and Edaline. Currently, they were headed to get the Deadly Night Monkeys as reinforcements.

She just hoped they came in time in case things got out of hand.

They rode in silence. Marella watched everyone, wishing she could just try to pry out whatever secrets anyone else was still hiding.

If she had to be honest, it was getting harder and harder to trust anyone.

And she couldn't even talk to Dex after the fight they had. She couldn't even look him in the eye.

She had never seen Dex ever blow up like the way he did. He had never spoken to her that way and it scared her.

She did feel a bit guilty for what she had done but it's not like Dex was right either. He shouldn't have been so careless by letting Linda act that way towards him.

It wasn't fair for Marella. She had the right to question what she saw.

She realized she was getting worked up just thinking about it. She tried real hard to put it aside for now.

She also noticed Keefe had been glancing at Biana strangely. It just rose Marella's suspicion that there was more truth to everything that Keefe still hadn't shared.

But he had been in a rush so it could wait.

After a long bumpy ride, the van came to a stop.

"Alright, you kids wait in here while I grab the weapons," Mr. Forkle instructed. "Wylie can help me out," he added.

"Hey! We aren't kids anymore," Fitz exclaimed.

"Yeah, we're adults," Keefe said, pointing to himself and Fitz.

"Fine, you two also," Mr. Forkle said.

"Hey! We're practically adults! We aren't little anymore!" Biana exclaimed, hopping up.

"Ugh you kids make this difficult— just come!" Mr. Forkle grumbled.

Everyone then hopped out, quickly grabbing their own weapons.

Dex was also distributing back up gadgets that they could hide in their pockets.

"Take it easy, Dex," Mr. Forkle said, looking down at his prosthetic leg.