17. ultraviolence

Começar do início

"I am Alpha Eris," a light voice called. I turned around to face a tall, lean woman, whose face was burned but healing quickly. She was trying to intimidate me by letting me watch her heal, but I wasn't easily fooled. "And who might you be?"

I quickly glanced over at Duke, who was raising an eyebrow at me. He was curious about me, but also afraid. He must have seen me swallow the flames.

With a small smile on my lips, I directed my gaze back on Eris.

"I'm the Shadow Phoenix, and I'm here to protect you."

↣ ↣ ↣

I looked from the window over to Stiles, who sat at his desk while I was on his bed. He was taking in every word I said very carefully, but I could see how fatigued he was.

"Stiles, you look bored out of your mind," I said. "We can finish this tomorrow if you want."

He shook his head, making wisps of dark hair to fall onto his face. "No," he insisted. "It's interesting to hear about your past."

A crooked smile spread across my face. "Why?"

Stiles shrugged. "You were...different, back then."

My smile faded. "I'd have to agree with that." I looked down at my hands. "Well, let's continue."

↣ ↣ ↣

When I protect packs, I usually move in with them. I do this so I can get to know them or to see the strengths and weaknesses of the pack.

Not to fall in love.

I decided to use the name I gave the volunteer company when meeting Alpha Eris's pack.

Layne.

I thought it suited me, because it meant "roadway" in Old English. I thought maybe I could open a new path in my life with Alpha Eris's pack...and possibly Duke.

I moved in with Alpha Eris's pack shortly after helping them out with the van fire. Sasha had, unfortunately, seen me "swallowing the flames," as she called it. But the good thing was that she wasn't entirely surprised. She had always known there was something different about me, and now she knew exactly what that was.

She was sad that I was quitting the volunteer program, and tried to get me to stay. I simply told her to be careful and never tell anyone about what she had seen. After a nice hug, I left Sasha alone.

↣ ↣ ↣

Duke's pack wasn't the nicest when it came to talking to people, but they controlled their anger and didn't "wolf out" unless necessary, so I was fine with that. His pack was mostly just his family and some others. I soon learned that Alpha Eris was Duke's mother and the head Beta of the pack, Alden, was his father.

Duke was the second oldest out of five kids, only his sister Katarina ahead of him in age. I could see this put a lot of stress on him; always trying to be like Katarina.

The downfall was that he would never be like his sister. There was too much rage inside of him. But for what?

I never knew.

↣ ↣ ↣

I grew close to Duke at first, mostly because he was the nicest to me. Some of the other pack members didn't really enjoy my presence. They must have forgotten that I saved them from the van fire, but I didn't care if they liked me or not. I had a job to do.

The pack didn't know it, but I could sense something coming. It was dark and poisonous, threatening to kill everything in its path. Every night I would feel it, whether it was in a dream or simply in a memory. The danger would fill my senses and I would end up screaming my lungs out into a pillow when I tried to go to sleep.