6 - The Middle Of The Night

*Y/N'S POV*

I woke up from a nightmare and read the clock. 2am. I sighed and pulled myself out of bed, I went to the kitchen for a glass of water and decided to look at the stars for a while. I opened the back door and nearly tripped over a body I didn't expect to be there.

"Shit! Oh, Loki! Sorry, I'm not used to someone being in my spot." I smiled as I composed myself. "Mind if I join you?"

He smiled at me. "Nothing would make me happier."

I sat next to him on the step and looked out to the open field behind my home. We had a perfect view of the stars and you can only see part of the Avengers compound behind the trees. Isolated, but not too far. Heaven forbid, Tony would have a cow if he couldn't get to us quickly.

"I didn't know." Loki spoke and I pulled myself from my thoughts. I turned to look at him. "The child... I didn't... I had no idea."

"I know. I only found out right before... you never showed up, so I couldn't tell you."

Loki nodded and I wasn't sure what more to say about the subject. "Does Thor know you're back?"

He shook his head. "I came straight here. My magic is... weakened. I used what I had to find you."

I smiled at the thought, being the first person he wanted to find. "We have a phone now. After you never came back and I was panicking, Tony and Bruce worked with Thor and others to get a phone, just in case. The kids love it. One message and suddenly Thor shows up with a bolt of lightening. It's a big hit at the birthday parties." I let out a small laugh. "We'll call him tomorrow, okay? He took your death hard."

"That would be great, my love, thank you." Loki smiled at me and grabbed my hand. "Does Thor... is he very involved?"

I nodded. "Yeah, everyone is really. The kids in there are unbelievably spoiled."

"I know I have to explain, you deserve to know what kept me from you-"

"It doesn't have to be now. I know whatever it was, had to be extremely difficult and you don't have to tell me now. It can wait, Loki. I'm just glad you're okay, that you're here." I leaned my head on his shoulder, his hand still in mine.

"Me too, my love. Me too." I felt his head rest on mine as he placed a gentle kiss. So many years later and being next to him had the same exact feeling as before, this immediate comfort.

We made small conversation but nothing serious. I was intentionally doing so to avoid a sensitive subject for Loki. I had the feeling he just wanted to pretend all the time that passed, hadn't.

"You mean to tell me, Stark made a mini Stark?" His eyes got wide.

"Yes, her name is Morgan. She's the sweetest thing, definitely takes more after Pepper, though."

"Thank the Goddesses for that, then." Loki grinned and I couldn't help but smile back at that. He had never been fond of Tony but he always seemed to enjoy Pepper when she was around.

"And you and the Soldier, retired?"

I nodded. "I work for a book store now. Bucky does odd repair jobs for a nearby construction company. If Tony had it his way, neither one of us would work again but you know me, can't sit still that long. Just part time, something to do."

"I understand."

We were silent again for a while before I decided to call it a night. "We should get to bed."

Loki nodded. "I'm glad you joined me."

"You mean you crashed my hiding spot." I smiled at him.

"Yes, I suppose so. Goodnight, Y/N."

"Night, Loki." I kissed his cheek before heading to bed.