(Chapter 5) The Calm that Brings the Storm

Start from the beginning

"What kinds are they?" Lucy asked before she could help herself, practically on the edge of her seat.

Jared smiled at her enthusiasm, and it pushed him on to share more about their home country than he would have usually thought better to.

"Well, one of the ones I've seen looks like a plain black onyx ring in its resting state," Jared had learned about it when he was a student at Attwood and only had so much knowledge because it was in the possession of one of his favorite teachers. "But when the user calls upon it, the ring unfolds into a double-ended scythe taller than any person and sharper than any blade man can make, and the magic it releases is a thousand times more powerful than any person could ever channel alone."

Lucy tried to imagine a weapon so incredible, or a person so strong. The stone hands holding up the pyramid was one example of what a vessel could do and was a type of creation magic that no practitioner of magic alive today could accomplish, but in the old days when vessels still roamed the world, miracles were as common as the sunsets. She wondered if these weapons were the leftover miracles left to humans from those ancient times.

"How do you know so much about it?" Lucy asked.

"I saw it a few times," Jared said, smiling back at the fond memory. "When I attended Attwood, it was in the possession of my teacher."

"Does he still have it now?"

"No." Jared's face turned to stone again and Lucy knew the conversation was over. It was only ever snippets she got from her brother about their home country Emora and even less about Attwood, but she always longed to hear more about the most notorious school in the world. The school that everyone knew about and even the mention of having ties too opened countless doors and respect from people. Lucy always wondered why Jared kept the fact he was a graduate a secret, but she didn't want to anger him by asking.

There was a knock on the old wooden door as a young servant woman crept it open. She hung her head low and was dressed in old grabs the same color as the stone walls as if to help her blend in.

"I am here to help you with any preparations you need, Sir and Lady." She looked to be somewhere around Rasmus' age and had beautiful brassy red hair that was worked perfectly into two braids nestled on top of her head.

"Oh, we aren't of royal blood," Jared brushed off warmly. "Please call me Jared, and this is my sister Lucy."

"It's a pleasure," Lucy said with a smile and a polite nod of her head.

The woman finally stood up from her bowed position, but still averted her gaze. "If that is what you wish." 

Jared took the opportunity to look at the woman before him. She seemed slim as if she hadn't eaten enough recently. "And what is your name?"

"Belize."

"That's quite a beautiful name," Jared smiled. "Belize, would you mind helping my sister with her appearance? I'm afraid I am no help when it comes to anything to do with women's hair, but yours is so beautifully done."

"If it so pleases you." Belize responded though she was momentarily shocked to receive a compliment.

"Only if it also pleases you," Jared replied, smiling still.

The girl seemed to think it over before she walked over to pull forward the vanity's seat for Lucy. Jared left to go wash up, taking advantage of the hot water they were not often privileged too.

"What would you like done?" Belize asked as Lucy took the seat.

"Oh, I'm not sure," Lucy said. "If you could do anything that looked half as lovely as yours, I'd be most thankful to you."