37

"'She wore a
Thousand
Faces all to hide her
Own.'"

- Atticus

_____

After coming back to Camp Jaha, Bear had put down little Eliza for a nap, before escaping out their shared room door and slithering down the hallway. She had promised Monty she'd join them on their adventure outside the gates.

She was now, currently, questioning whether that was a good idea or not.

"Why do we continue to make the mistake of letting him the driver!" Monty yelled out in fear, as he gripped the seatbelt.

"Ride or die, baby!" Kage whooped, changing gears, as he reved the engine.

"Somehow!" Raven screeched, her nails digging into Bears skin, as the girl reached over and secured the mechanic in place with her arm,"he's the only one who understands how to!"

Reaching over, with one hand on the wheel, Kage cranked up the music buffering from the chipped radio. It wasn't great, but the boy loved it, singing along with puberty hitting his high notes.

With one hand secured around Raven, Bear had to sit through it all, unable to block out the noise streaming from the boys lungs.

Suddenly, she felt two someone brush her hair back, the palm of their hands securing over her ears. Bear almost sighed in relief, the singing became more bearable.

A part of her felt bad for whoever was doing it, cause now, they couldn't block their ears. I guess survival of the fittest.

Looking out the slats of the window, Bear could almost make out Octavias racing along beside them on a beautiful, Hazel stallion.

The two looked like characters from a novel.

Drumming his hands along the wheel, Kage continued to hum along to the song, very off key. The person covering Bears ears from his beautiful melody, propping their chin on the top of her head.

The ghost of her smile lifting at the tips of her lips, as Miller tapped the bass on her leg, his mind in another place, as his eyes were mirrors. They perfectly reflected the trees rushing past them.

Monty, on the other hand, looked like a parent developing a migraine half way through their child's tantrum.

Suddenly, the car jolted to the side, as the right tires went up a fallen tree.

"The risk I took was calculated," Kage reassured, feeling Ravens eyes glaring into the side of his head at the bump,"but, in my defence, I failed math so that's on you."

"You failed math?" Raven stated, more then questioned.

"I'm shit at math, baby girl," Kage smiled broadly, almost proud.

"We're all going to die," Monty whispered, the person covering Bears ears almost flinching at the word.

Nobody bothered to look in Jaspers way, knowing the boy was too far gone down that drunken hole to acknowledge the words spoken.

Coming to a meadow, Octavia slowed down, and veered to the side of the car, tilting back her head and letting out a loud laugh when Raven rolled down her window.