𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

The fire danced in front of me, warming my slowly chilling body as I sat against the stone wall at the castle that we were hiding out in. I had my arms slung around my bent knees, clutching at the fabric to my pants.

"I'm going to sleep," I whisper out to Connie, mimicking everyone else who was either sleeping or talking in hushed tones to themselves.

"Okay," Connie whispered back, pulling my head to settle on his lap while I continued to stare at the fire. Involuntary tears started to drip down my face as he ran his fingers across my hair and along my back, just like how Miche used to.

My throat ached at the thought of my uncle not being alive anymore. Even after my panic and hysteria, part of me still felt like Miche would walk through the tower doors any minute now, greeting me with one of his rare smiles.

I close my eyes, not wanting to be awake any longer.

"I hate it here! Please don't leave me, uncle! Please let me stay with you!" I yelled out, tears running down my face as I gripped Miches shirt in my hands, frantically begging him to take me in.

He looked hesitant, his eyes straying from me and back to my parents. His eyes go to my father; his brother.

"I'm sorry dovie, but I can't take you with me- you know that." He said softly to me, sadness showing in his eyes.

"But-"

"Y/n, come inside. Now," My father says, interrupting me.

"How is she," I hear Christa ask Connie. I keep my eyes closed.

"I don't know, she's barely said anything since we got here," he replies back in a hushed tone, trying his best not to wake me up.

"It's okay, dovie, I'm right here," Uncle Miche said from above me, my head on his chest. He brushed the fresh tears off of my face, pulling me closer to him. I sobbed harder at the action.

"Let it all out, little dove. You're okay." I sniffled and clutched at my uncle's coat, gripping the soft fabric in my hands.

"I hate them so much."

Miche shushed me, combing his fingers through my hair in a soothing motion.

"I know, dovie," he said, his voice hushed into a whisper. He picks my body up halfway. "Now, why don't we get you to bed, yeah?"

I sniffle again, nodding hesitantly, and let myself be tucked into bed, the last thing I remember being his humming that lulled me to a peaceful sleep.

"Y/n!" My eyes shoot open and I sit up, already alert and looking for any signs of danger, but all I see is a panicked Connie. I look over his body for any injuries and slump back down to the ground once I realize he's fine.

"What is it, Connie, I'm trying to-" I'm cut off when Connie grips his hand around my arm, hauling me up and off my feet.

"Come on! Titans are approaching the tower!" My head shoots to Connie with a disbelieving look as he drags me up the stairs, everyone else right behind or already in front of us. Once we reach the top I look around to see Reiner, Bertholdt, Christa, and Ymir with us, along with Nanaba and her small team of Scouts.

Reaching the edge of the tower- Connie having to pull me back by the collar so I don't topple off- I see about twenty-some titans milling around the bottom of the castle. Some were herded by the doors while others were trying to climb the brick walls, attempting to come up and eat us from all the way up here. The one from before, the hairy and beast-like titan, was heading towards the walls, ignoring us completely.