34

I waited in Ace's house for two hours.

I'd even called him, but got no response.

Stepping out of his house, I decided it was time to leave.

My eyes stung from both crying and the mascara that had leaked into them.

I couldn't believe what had just happened.

Ace had thought, this whole time, that I had killed his mother.

Had everything had been a lie? Did he plan to kill me from the start? Was he going to let the men in black kill me in the locker room?

But he didn't. He let me live. He believed me.

My head spun at the realization I'd come across. My sister didn't die that night. That was the only explanation as to why Ace thought it was me.

But why would she kill Ace's mother?

Did Ace's family have something to do with the murder of mine?

Wait.

Did Dallas think I killed his mother too?

Ace and he had different fathers. Not mothers. They had the same mother.

But Dallas told me his mother died in the hospital...

Shaking my head as I stepped off Ace's porch, it started to rain.

How romantic.

I stepped to the end of the curb despite raindrops drenching me head to toe, waiting for some car to drive by and give me a lift home.

After nearing hypothermia, I decided to call Dallas to pick me up.

Twenty minutes later, he arrived.

"Well hello, Raccoon." He greeted. "Did my brother kick you out?"

I didn't bother replying as I sat passenger-side. Dallas didn't complain as I brought in muddy shoes and soaked clothing into his car.

His eyes widened, however, when he had a better look at me. "What the hell happened? Did Ace hurt you? Because, I swear to God if he laid one finger on you--"

"--Please. Just please, start driving. I'll explain along the way." I croaked out.

* * *

We drove for a long while. I wasn't sure if it was because Ace's house was that far or because Dallas sensed I needed a longer drive. Either way, once I'd explained everything, I felt a lot of relief.

Dallas had listened attentively, not interrupting me once.

When I was finished talking he asked, "So, you're the survivor of the Denver Massacre?"

I hadn't heard the name Denver in years.

"How do you know my real last name?"

"Ace told me a long time ago, when our mother died, that some girl, Charlotte Denver was going to die at his hands," Dallas explained. "Now that you've explained the situation, I'm assuming your sister...Hayley, you said? I'm assuming she took your name."

"But why would she do that?" I thought aloud.

Dallas shrugged. "Perhaps she thinks you're dead and wanted a reminder of your existence."

"Hey, Dallas. You told me you didn't like hospitals because your mother died in one, but Ace said your mother died in your house."

Dallas shook his head, "We all thought she was dead, but the ambulance took her because she had a faint heartbeat. It was at the hospital that they officially announced her passing."