31

"Who are you visiting?" The receptionist asked.

"Ellie Saunders." I answered.

She sent Veronica, Dallas and I a sympathetic smile. "Unfortunately, only family members are permitted to visit."

"She doesn't have any family here." I protested. "I need to see her, right now."

"I'm sorry ma'am, but I can't let any of you do that."

I sighed, stepping back. From the corner of my eyes, I watched Dallas circle around the receptionist casually.

Veronica and I shared a look. What was he doing?

He leaned forward, looking at the computer screen in front of the receptionist.

"Can I help you sir?" The receptionist asked, her tone no longer as friendly.

"No, ma'am." Dallas smiled politely at her. He looked at me. "Ellie's in room three-twelve, make a run for it."

I didn't need to be told twice. Knowing my way around the hospital thanks to my internship, I led the way.

"Excuse me, but you can't do this!" The receptionist called behind us.

We rounded a corner, heading for the elevators.

"Security!" The receptionist yelled right as I pressed the button to summon the elevator.

Before the guard in the hall could place a hand on my shoulder, Dallas smacked, actually smacked it away. "Hands off. She and I are doctors in the making, anyway." He sent me a wink.

The elevator dinged open.

The guard opened his mouth to object, but Veronica pulled me into the elevator and abused the close button.

All three of us shared grins until the seriousness of the situation settled in.

I silently prayed Ellie would be okay.

We walked past numerous doors until we found Ellie's.

Not wanting to disrupt anything important, I knocked on the door, waiting patiently.

A couple of seconds later, the door was pulled open.

"Cher?" Dr. Wiltshire greeted.

"Dr. Wiltshire!" I breathed in relief. "Ellie's my best friend, practically a sister, can we please see her?"

"Cher?" I heard Ellie call weakly.

"Hush now, Ms. Saunders, you need to rest." Dr. Wiltshire closed the door behind him. "I'll answer all your questions outside. Let's allow the patient some quiet."

I wanted to protest, but Dr. Wiltshire sent me a pointed look.

The four of us sat in the deserted chairs in the waiting room.

"Ellie is dealing with the complications of metastasis." Dr. Wiltshire explained.

Dallas and I shared a look, knowing what that meant.

"In English, please." Veronica requested.

"The cancer has begun to spread from the breast tissue into other regions in Ms. Saunder's body."

"Is she going to be okay?" Veronica asked.

Dr. Wiltshire looked at us, sympathy filling his eyes.

God, I hated that look.

"My team and I will do the best that we can to remove the cancerous tissue through surgery."

"Just your best isn't enough!" I cried out. "She has to live. I need her to survive this. I can't- I can't lose her. I've lost too much already. She's like a sister. A sister to me. I--" My voice cracked and the tears began to fill my ducts. I didn't want to cry.