32

Four days flew by quicker than I could've imagined.

Ellie's surgery went smoothly. I'd visited her each day after, keeping her company in between classes. I still wasn't allowed back at Mastro's but Milos assured me by next week, things would be back to normal.

Ace had been busy training for his wrestling final. But in between practices we called, went for drives, and even went to the movies once.

Ellie would be allowed back home today. I promised to spend time with her. Later, when Ace called to let me know where it would be taking place, I realized his wrestling final was also today.

I explained the situation, telling him I might not be able to come.

He'd sounded upset yet understanding.

When I'd dropped by Ellie's she demanded that I go to Ace's match immediately.

I objected at first but she delivered some unsettling threats to me, convincing me to go.

When I told Ace I was coming, he sounded happy. He'd told me that he needed me, his good luck charm, to be there.

* * *

I drove alone to the wrestling final.

It was taking place in a different arena so Ace had sent me the address.

Despite the match not beginning for at least a half-hour, there were hundreds of cars in the lot.

I supposed not being first to the match made me a bad girlfriend. Then again, Ace and I had never explicitly agreed that we were dating. I wasn't sure what we were.

After roaming around in my car for minutes, I finally found a tight spot an annoying distance from the entrance of the centre.

As I stepped into the building, I could smell popcorn, sweat, and anticipation. People were super excited to see Ace take down his last opponent for the season. I was too.

Making a quick purchase of extra-butter popcorn, I followed the arrows and the mass of people heading into the arena.

But before I could step into the stadium, I felt two hands grab me by my shoulders, forcing me back.

I let out a yelp, but no one bothered to look around, probably assuming I was cheering for the match to begin.

I tried getting a look at who had grabbed me, but when I did, I found my head covered by a brown sack.

Thrashing and screaming for help, I felt myself being lifted off the ground.

What is happening? Is it the men in black?

I didn't stop screaming and trying to escape the person's hold until I felt myself being placed onto a hard surface.

The person had let go of me and I sat up immediately, pulling the sack from my face.

"What are you—" I began, only to find myself surrounded by three men in black.

"What do you want from me?" I snapped. "You took my necklace, what else do I have that you want?"

One of the men stepped forward, "Your life."

Well, then.

I stood up to run but was immediately pushed back down. It was then that I realized I was sitting on a bench in a locker room.

"We can do this the easy way," One of the men said, raising a gun.

"Or the hard way." Another pulled out a blade.