15

"Carter?" I called as I stepped into his apartment. He'd given me keys to his place a month after we got together. Even so, I barely went over to his place.

I hadn't heard anything from him since yesterday. I was still annoyed at him for not showing up at the match. But it was Valentine's Day and we'd planned to go for a walk this morning.

I just hope he didn't forget that too.

On my way over, I'd bought us some donuts to share. I placed them on the coffee table in his living room.

"Cart?" I shouted again.

He was probably showering. I could hear water running.

I pulled open his fridge and grabbed an apple. Taking a seat on his couch, I scrolled through my phone to pass the time.

"Cher?" Carter's eyes widened. "Wha-why? How-What are you doing here?"

I furrowed my brows, sitting up. "First of all, Happy Valentine's Day. And second, we said we were going for a walk, remember?"

His face dropped. His hair was wet and he had a towel wrapped around the bottom half of his body.

"You forgot?" I sighed. "That's okay. Are you busy?"

He seemed to be thinking deeply.

"Carter?" I muttered. "Are you okay?"

"I...uh."

I could still hear water running. "Why is your shower still on?"

He snapped out of his silence, "Oh, I heard someone and wanted to check in case it was a burglar." His laugh didn't reach his eyes. "I must've forgotten."

I pursed my lips.

Yeah...an unlikely story.

He cared too much about the environment. Not to mention, I didn't make much noise entering his apartment, it wasn't like I'd broken in. The water would've drowned out the noise.

A horrible feeling settled in my stomach.

"Well, why don't you go on and close it?" I prompted.

"Oh right."

"Actually, no. You wait here." I headed towards his closed door. "I'll close the shower."

"No!" He grabbed my arm.

"What?" I protested, glaring at his hands. My heart began to sink, he was acting so suspicious.

"One of my roommates is using the washroom." He explained, before laughing. "I don't want you walking in on something you don't want to see, well, smell."

Okay, gross.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

But what if I'm not?

"Who is it? I know both of your roommates."

I knew Parker worked at this time of the day. Dylan could be home, however.

"It's Dylan."

I nodded, "Okay."

"Sit tight, I'll go get dressed, let Dylan know I'm leaving, and then we can go for a walk."

"Sure."

I waited until he was in his room before I whipped out my cell.

I called Dylan's number, waiting.

Please do not pick up. Please do not pick up.

"Hey, Cher. What's up?"

"Dylan? Where are you?"