16

I was awoken by the sound of keys jingling.

I'd fallen asleep on the couch, tears caking my cheeks and making my eyelids weigh mountains against my eyes.

"Dallas?" I yawned, rubbing my eyes until I could see.

He stepped into the apartment, clutching his nose.

"Would you mind grabbing me some frozen peas?" He groaned, sounding nasal.

I sat up, squinting at him. "Why?"

That was when I noticed the blood.

"Oh my god. are you okay?" I gasped, rushing towards him. His hands were covered in blood as well as the white shirt he was wearing. "We need to take you to the hospital."

"No." Dallas winced. "No hospitals. I just want a pack of frozen peas and to go to sleep."

"You're bleeding!"

"I hadn't noticed." He scoffed, wincing right after.

"Sarcasm makes you ugly."

"Peas, please?" He grumbled.

I sniggered at his words as I headed to the kitchen.

"Seriously, we need to get you checked out," I commented, handing him the peas.

"It's just a nosebleed," Dallas argued, taking the packet from me.

I shook my head as I noticed other injuries. "I think you may need stitches for that cut on your cheek."

"Charlotte, please. I'll be fine." He sighed, trudging towards the couch. "I don't want to go to the hospital."

"Why? You're not a criminal, are you?" I joked.

He frowned as he laid down. "Why would you say that?"

"I mean," I gestured to his clothes. "You're covered in blood."

"I don't want to go to the hospital because I watched my mother pass away in one."

Oh.

"I'm so sorry. But we need to do something about your wounds."

He squinted at me. "You're the one trying to be a doctor."

Well, damn. He has a point. "Do we have a first aid kit?"

He shook his head slowly, still clutching his nose, "I don't think so."

I was a med student, and I didn't have a first aid kit at home. Embarrassing.

"Tilt your head up and pinch the bridge of your nose. It should help stop the bleeding. I'll be right back."

Rushing out of our apartment without any shoes, I knocked on a neighbour's door.

I smiled at the old man who opened it, "Evening, sir. Do you have a first aid kit I could borrow?"

Door slammed.

Wow, not-so neighbourly.

It was almost three in the morning so I supposed it was pretty late for most people.

I went along the hall knocking like a madwoman.

Some people didn't answer, others didn't have kits.

I decided to head to the front lobby.

The receptionist had one in the back room but was curious as to why I needed one. He also threw a questioning look at my lack of footwear. I lied and said I was teaching my friend first aid.