13

On the way back from the hospital I had gone over to Ellie's, shaken up from what I'd experienced. 

I had so many questions. Questions I couldn't ask anyone or I risked exposing myself.

No one knew my past except for me. 

Ellie was too busy freaking out to have wanted to listen regardless. Not to mention, Veronica was back. Veronica was the type of girl you'd want to hide your boyfriend from. She was that stunning and that confident.

Ellie and I brought her up to speed about all that had gone down. Veronica, like Ellie, was digging the whole idea of me and Ace becoming a thing.

Life isn't a Wattpad story.

Dallas had listened to me and asked Ellie out and she was over the moon in excitement.  Veronica and I helped her select what to wear. Though I didn't think Dallas deserved her, it was nice seeing Ellie happy.

I told the two of them about my last interaction with Carter. 

Veronica told me jealousy was healthy, in a small amount because it meant your significant other cared about losing you. However, Ellie pointed out that Carter had taken it too far. I couldn't help but agree.

There were way too many things running through my mind.

School. My grandmother. The men in black. Dr. Pennfield. Taylor. Carter. Ace. Dallas. Ellie's date.

I just wanted things to go back to what they were before my apartment had flooded.

It was the next day, and I was still distracted by my thoughts. 

I still wasn't sure why my grandmother had forgotten who I was within minutes. There was a condition that caused that behaviour. What was it called?

"Cher?" Melissa called, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Yes?" I turned to her.

We were sitting in Evergrove in the break we had between our classes. She had the prettiest red hair I'd ever seen. I was envious.

"What's bothering you?" She asked, looking away from her laptop.

"Huh?"

She laughed softly. "You're tearing pieces of your notes, so I'm assuming something is bugging you."

"Oh." I stopped ripping my notes. Maybe she knew what it was called. "I've just been stuck on this assignment for psychology. I can't remember the name of a condition where individuals forget and confuse memories and people..."

Melissa went quiet as she thought. "Is it Alzheimer's?"

"Yes!" I yelled, causing a couple of people to look my way. I lowered my voice. "Yes, thank you."

Alzheimer's. My grandmother has Alzheimer's.

After my outburst, Melissa and I went back to our individual assignments. I was struggling to write out an essay. I thought when I'd signed up for med school I never had to write long essays like I did in English courses. But, boy was I wrong.

* * *

An hour later Melissa abruptly nudged my elbow with hers.

I looked up from my notes. "What?"

"That guy there has been sitting and staring at you for almost five minutes."

What?

I casually turned to look at where she'd indicated.