07

"Why the sudden interest?" I asked.

Ellie smacked my arm. "Cher!"

"No," I shook my head at her before turning back to Greek Salad. "I need to know. He was a total douchebag when I first spoke to him, not to mention the interactions following."

"I changed my mind," Greek Salad shrugged, pulling his hands out of his pockets and folding them.

"Nuh-uh. I don't buy it." I crossed my arms as well. "Something's changed."

"C'mon, I need a roommate. I'll even pay your half for the first month."

I placed a hand on my hip. "How exactly will you do that if you're on the verge of eviction?"

"Okay, so maybe I can't afford to pay your half." Greek Salad sighed, "But, I feel bad, okay? Antonio shouldn't have done what he did."

"Yeah, well I don't need your damn charity." I snapped. "I'm staying with my best friend here." I wrapped an arm around Ellie's shoulders.

"I don't think Veronica will be too happy with the arrangement." Ellie piped in.

"But you told me--"

"--Yeah, well things, like you said," She threw me a devious look, digging her fingers into my waist, "Have changed."

I sent her a murderous glare. Is she really going to throw me under the bus?

A glint of satisfaction flashed behind Greek Salad's eyes.

"You got a napkin?" he asked.

Ellie passed him one. He pulled out a pen from his waistcoat's pocket.

Fancy, Ellie mouthed beside me, wiggling her brows.

I rolled my eyes at her.

Where did her nervousness suddenly evaporate?

"Here," Greek Salad said as he finished scribbling against the napkin. "This is my number, I'll give you twenty-four hours to make up your mind, then the offer is off the table."

I raised a brow as he held the napkin out to me before I begrudgingly took it from him.

My heart fluttered at the brief contact of our hands.

Um. Why did it do that?

No. Shut up, Charlotte. You have Carter, you're just tired.

And with that, Greek Salad began to leave.

"Wait!" I called, realizing something.

He slowly turned around, eyebrows raised in question.

"What is your name?"

He sent me a small smile. "Davenport. Dallas Davenport."

I watched him leave the restaurant without looking back.

Once he'd left, Ellie grabbed me by my shoulders, pulling me from my thoughts. "His name is delicious."

"Pull yourself together, Ellie." I snorted.

And not to mention, in my experience, 'D' names were worth avoiding. Boys in general, worth avoiding.

"Fine by me," Ellie shrugged. "We're not getting you Greek Salad. He's all for me and I'm looking forward to a second serving."

I cringed at her play on words. But before I could comment on it--

"--Ladies!" Milos, our boss, called from behind us, making me visibly jump. "Get back to work, I don't pay you to flirt with our customers."