25. Back in the Fight

A/N Hi everyone, sorry I haven't updated in a couple of days. Had a busy Sunday, then just a bit of writers block. Finally have another chapter ready for you all. Hope you enjoy x

Emily stared out of the open garage door at the rain pelting down outside. It was only Thursday but the forecast for the whole weekend in Belgium was rain, rain, and more rain.

"There you are!" exclaimed Joel, tapping her on the shoulder.

"Ouch!" she exclaimed.
"I barely touched you!" he retaliated.

"Sunburn," she groaned.

Somehow she had gotten through two weeks in Greece without burning, but an afternoon at home, falling asleep in the back garden, had seen her end up looking like a lobster. Joel tried to hide his amusement but failed miserably. She shot him an evil look.

"Oh come on Ems, you'd laugh if it was me." She nodded her head, conceding thr point.

"I was looking for you to ask if you wanted to come out bowling tonight. The usual gang." Emily frowned.

"I'd have loved to but I already have plans," she said.

"Oh have you now? What, may I ask, are you doing?"

"I'm having dinner with Charles."

"Leclerc again? I thought you only wanted to be friends?"

"I do, but he asked for a chance to change my mind. It's only fair."

"Guy's a pillock."

"Joel, he's actually a really nice guy when you get to know him."

"I think you're nuts binning Seb off for him."

"It's not like that. Seb and I were...complicated."

"You were scared of the chemistry and decided to take the easy option."

"Joel, just leave it. I've made my choice regarding Seb. Anyway I thought you'd have agreed with me not seeing him again after Baku."

"He made a mistake. I could see how devastated he was. Once I calmed down I realised this. He isnt Chris.The guy is crazy about you."

"Joel, I said leave it," Emily snapped, running out of patience. Joel shrugged.

"OK, well that's your choice. Have fun with the golden boy." He headed off back towards the paddock. Emily cursed under her breath. She knew she shouldn't have snapped at Joel like that but Seb was a touchy subject. No matter how much she tried she couldn't get him out of her head.

***

Seb slid onto the seat next to Joel.
"Joel, my favourite mechanic." Joel shot him a suspicious look.

"What are you after? And I wouldn't let the others hear you call me that. " Seb let out a laugh.

"Information. Listen, I know we've had our differences but we both want what's best for Emily, yes?" Joel nodded. "And that's me. Not Charles, or anyone else for that matter." Joel turned his full attention to Seb.

"Go on."

"Is she seeing him again?"

"Yeah, tonight actually " Joel said, reluctantly, not wanting to upset Seb. To his surprise however, Seb didn't seem upset. He seemed motivated.

"OK, where and when?"

"I'm not sure," Joel admitted. "But I can try and find out. She's bound to have told Kara. What are you planning?" Seb grinned at him.

"Sabotage," he said.

***

Joel read the text from Kara and forwarded the information to Seb. He didn't even feel bad about going behind Emily's back. He was 100% certain that Charles was wrong for Emily. His phone beeped again, twice in quick sucession. A message from Kara, and one from Seb.

Seb: Joel, you're a legend

Kara: I hope you know what you're doing. I'm only doing this because I soooo want her to be with Seb. They're perfect for each other.

Joel grinned. Seb better pulled this off.

***

Charles and Emily sat down at the table. They had gone to a small restaurant just around the corner from the hotel they were both staying in.
"Did you have a good summer break?" Charles asked.
"Brilliant thanks, yourself?"
"Yes, spent most of it training. But let's not talk about that. I want to hear about your break."
"Kara and I went to Greece. Was great to get away from everything. "
"Sounds fun." They carried on chatting away whilst waiting for their food.
"Fancy seeing you two here!" exclaimed a very familiar voice. Emily groaned internally. Really? Of all the restaurants, he had to come to this one!

"Sebastian, hello," Charles greeted him, obviously annoyed.

Emily turned her head and saw the German sat at the next table with Antti and Britta. He was grinning like a Cheshire cat.

"Hi Emily," he said. "Looking as beautiful as ever."

"Hi Seb, thank you," she said, confused. Why was he so cheerful? And was he flirting with her in front of Charles?

"Hey Antti, Britta."

"Hi guys," Antti said.

"Hello," added Britta.

"Did you have a good holiday Emily? I saw the photos Kara posted. Antti showed me. Like that little blue bikini," Seb said, winking at her.

"Er thanks, yeah, had a great time. Did you have a good summer?"

"Yeah, it was great thanks. Had the girls for most of it. Swear they're more exhausting than a work out with Antti."

"I'm obviously not working you hard enough then," Antti laughed. Britta and Emily laughed as well. Charles just plastered a fake smile on his face. He was fuming. Why did Seb have to turn up and distract Emily from him?

"So, tell me about Greece Emily? Oh, actually, I'm being rude. You get back to your date. Maybe we can grab dinner or a drink this weekend and you can tell me all about it?"

Emily laughed. Why did he have to be so cute? Why was this cocky, self-assured version of him so damn attractive? She knew she should be paying attention to Charles but all she could think about was Seb and how much she still wanted him. She ripped her attention away from the German and tried her best to concentrate on Charles. Which was hard when she kept hearing Seb's voice, and knowing he was just a few metres away from her.

As soon as they had finished dessert Charles settled the bill and suggested they had a leisurely stroll about the town before heading back to the hotel. She agreed, not really wanting to but feeling like she owed Charles. It was a nice walk, with a nice conversation, but he just didn't affect her like Seb did. Still, she had made her choice where Seb was concerned. Being with him would be far too dangerous for her heart.

***

Arriving back at the hotel, she sighed as she saw Seb and Antti stood talking in the lobby. Charles noticed them immediately too. Seb waved at them, grinning smugly.

"Can't escape him anywhere," he muttered. Emily lay a hand on his arm.

"Don't worry about him Charles. If I wanted to be with him, I'd be with him," she said, not entirely truthful. "He's just being a pain in the arse." Charles smiled, half-heartedly. Then he did the last thing Emily had been expecting. He pulled her close and kissed her thouroughly, making sure Seb saw the little performance.

Emily froze, she didn't know how to react. She didn't want to kiss Charles, especially in front of Seb, but she didn't want to embarrass Charles by rejecting him in public. In the end she pulled back, scared of looking at Seb, and seeing his reaction. She was worried. How would he react?

Seb had to stop himself from marching over there and wrenching that snivelling little shit off of his Emily. He knew Charles was doing it deliberately to wind him up. Antti laid a restraining hand.on his shoulder.

"Seb, don't react."

"I'm not going to, as much as I want to."

"If it's any consolation, didn't look like she was entirely comfortable with what he just pulled."

"Oh, believe me, she wasn't. She wants me Antti. I know she does. And I'm not going to stop until she is mine. Charles isn't taking her from me. This is one battle I intend on winning."