5. Making his Move

Much to Seb's disappointment Emily was soon replaced on the radio by Connor. Seb decided he'd much prefer her sexy voice over the gruff Brummie accent. Listening to her might have made the afternoon at least bearable. The car just didn't feel right at all. He was struggling getting used to how it drove. He supposed that was to be expected after six years driving Ferraris.

The following two days went pretty much the same way. He didn't even find a chance to talk to Emily alone, he was kept that busy with more media bullshit. He'd had meetings with his engineers which she'd been present at. That had been fun, trying to hide the fact that he couldn't take his eyes off of her. If anybody had found it strange that he had kept his sunglasses on inside, they hadn't mentioned it. She was so distracting. He'd had to force himself to pay attention to what was being said rather than lose himself in his fantasies.

Sunday afternoon he had a chat with Joel and they agreed to meet up with the rest of Seb's side of the garage for dinner and drinks that evening.  He was determined to get Emily on her own at some point that evening. He was glad when the last session was over. It was nearly seven o clock before he got back to the hotel. He was supposed to be meeting his team at 7.30. He quickly jumped in the shower. He pulled on some lightweight black trousers and a navy blue shirt. He quickly made his hair look presentable and slapped some aftershave on. Finally he slipped on a pair of smart black shoes. He much preferred jeans and trainers but he wanted to make an impression. He was the last one to arrive.

"Oh there you are,' said Britta. "I was just about to send out a search party." 

He laughed and slid into the seat she had saved for him. He glanced around and found to his delight that Emily was seated quite close to him. Joel was opposite him and Emily was sat on Joel's righthand side. He tried his best to not stare at her all night but was fighting a losing battle. She looked amazing in a pale yellow midi dress.

He engaged in a conversation with Joel. He tried to include but she seemed very quiet.

"So Emily, how long have you worked in Formula 1?" he asked.

"This is my third season. I worked in F2 before that with Carlin."

"That's great. Look forward to working with you."  That wasn't too forward was it? he asked himself, taking a swig of his wine.

She nodded at him and smiled sweetly.  After dinner everyone began mixing whilst enjoying a few drinks. He got ambushed by Francesca when he was just about to join Emily, Joel and their group.   He really didn't want to be rude so he stayed and chatted to her for a while. She made it pretty clear that she fancied him. He thought she was very attractive and if Emily wasn't interested then he might have to proposition Francesca. He needed sex. It had been too long and he was horny. Obviously he would rather it was Emily that he bedded but that was down to her.

After ten minutes he excused himself and headed over to Emily and Joel who were now by themselves, the group having moved outside to the terrace.

"Hey guys, good evening?" he asked, trying to sound casual.

"Yes thank you Seb," Joel answered.

"How about you Emily?  Enjoying yourself?"

"Yes thank you, it's been a great evening. I'm very tired though so was just about to head off. Thank you for arranging this Sebastian."

"I was just about to head off myself," he said, seeing an opportunity.  "May I see you back to your room safely?"  She smiled and nodded.

"Just give me five minutes to say goodnight." 

As he walked off Joel nudged her in the ribs, playfully.

"See you back to your room safely? More like try and get you into his bed!"

"Joel, pack it in. Not every man has his mind in the gutter like you do. He's a married man, so I'm not even thinking of going there."

"You'd be mad not to. He's been devouring you with his eyes all evening when he thinks no-one's looking."

"Don't talk crap. Why would he be interested in me? Have you seen his wife?"

"Ems you're beautiful. Every guy in this room would be interested. Apart from me obviously."  She laughed.  Seb returned.

"Are you ready Emily?" She nodded and hugged Joel.

"Night Joel, love you."  He hugged her back tightly.

"Love you too Ems."   Seb and Emily made their way through the bar into the lobby. They entered the elevator. Emily pressed the button for her floor.

"You and Joel are close?" She laughed. Seb felt a prick of jealousy.

"You could say that."

"Are you together?" he blurted out, unable to stop himself.  She snorted with laughter.

"Oh my God no. You obviously don't know do you?"

"Know what?" he asked, confused.   The elevator doors slid open.and he followed her out, determined to see her to her door.

"He's my brother, Seb. I mean literally. We're brother and sister."  Seb's mouth fell open with surprise.

"Oh my God. No I didn't know. I am so sorry. You look nothing alike. And no-one told me"

"I know. He's like our  dad, I'm like our mum. "

"Who's older?"

"He is, but only by about 10 minutes."

"You're twins? That's mad," he exclaimed.  Emily thought to herself how adorable Seb looked when he laughed.

"Well, this is me," she said as they arrived at her door.  Seb knew it was now or never.

"Emily, I know this is forward of me but I am really attracted to you. I think you're beautiful.  Can I kiss you?"

Emily couldn't believe what she was hearing. Joel was right. Sebastian Vettel fancied her. It would have been different if he had been a single man but knowing he was married just made her cross.

"No, you may not. Who the hell do you think you are? I don't get involved with married men." She got her key card out and unlocked her door, desperate to get away from him.  Truth is she really wanted to say yes but there was no way she was going there.

"Emily, please. It's not what you think. My marriage is over. "

"Your ring says different. Goodnight Sebastian," she said, shutting the door firmly in his face.

"Shit," he cursed. He had totally fucked that up. He'd waited so long to be free to pursue her and now he'd finally made a move she'd rejected him because she thought he was still with Carla. Why hadn't he took that damn ring off?   He hated the press knowing his business but maybe he and Carla should have released a statement about their split. He knocked on the door.

"Emily, I can explain."

"Go away."

"Please Emily."

"Fuck off. "  He shook his head. He decided to leave it for tonight. He would ring Carla in the morning and ask about a statement. It was the only way he was going to prove to Emily that he was free and single. Maybe then she would allow him that kiss. He wasn't going to give up. He would have that girl naked in his bed if it took him all season.