Lupin (Chapter One Draft) (OCxRAB)

Start from the beginning

"Regulus, or what's left of him anyways. He turned up at the house about twenty minutes ago, he was in such a state Mum could hardly believe he'd even made it to us before he'd collapsed." My brother relaxes, only slightly so, at the realization that Mum and I are fine. He's been more than worried about leaving the house at all since Dad died at the beginning of the summer holidays- Mum had to all but force him to even consider coming to James's tonight. "I'm sure he's fine, he'll be right back with them come tomorrow morning, Reg was never one to disappoint." Sirius's tone is casual, and draws a laugh from Peter who'd only just managed to make it down to join the rest of us. "You don't get it, Black, do you? He's lucky to be alive right now, I know of what happened to you and how you got to be where you are now. I know you remember the hell you went through at home... So you tell me, Black, just how exactly you expect him to go back somewhere he's no longer wanted? To people that'd rather see him dead than making his own decisions? Regulus may not be a Gryffindor, but he's braver than you'll ever be because he did it all for himself,"

I pause momentarily, allowing my words to really sink in before I continue. "Regulus didn't have a family like the Potters to turn to, hell it took he and I going out for nearly a year before my Mother even trusted him enough to meet him in public due poison you've spread about at his expense, everything leading up to tonight has been at his own council. He didn't have members of a noble family whispering in his ear, telling him how to get out. He didn't have a group of friends determined to protect him at all costs. The only voice of reason he's had since you left has been me... do you even know what happened tonight? Where your mother almost dragged him?" One look is all it takes for me to realize nobody had told him, you'd think living with Members of the Order he'd be a bit more informed. "So they didn't tell you. Wow, impressive, the great Sirius Black doesn't know something for once in his sorry excuse for a life. Allow me to clue you in, Black. Tonight your brother was to be taken to Malfoy Manor to meet the Dark Lord, to be branded like a cattle, and he refused."

I feel Remus pulling at me, trying to get me to stop because he believes my point to have been made... but I'm not yet finished. "He refused, and was nearly killed for it... and funny enough the moment he arrived in our sitting room, drenched in his own blood, he called out not for me- but for you. The brother who bullies him for no reason. The brother who abandoned him. The brother who thinks he's as worthless as the ground we walk on. The brother who was greedy and left him in that hell to save his own skin." Sucking in a deep breath, I can't help but feel satisfied at the tears forming in Blacks eyes. "I was going to ask if you'd like to join Remus and I when we head home, but I think you've done more than enough to put Regulus into this situation in the first place. Wouldn't you agree?" It's so quiet one could hear a feather drop, the boys shocked into silence by my words. "I think it'd be best if you left." James finally says, stepping forward and reaching as if to drag me towards the floo.

"Don't." Remus growls, pushing me to stand behind him. "I don't care if she's your sister or not, Mate, she can't just barge in here and blame Padfoot for the poor decisions her little boyfriends made." James snaps, the tension in the room rising. "Back off, James." My brother snaps, his body visibly shaking with pent up anger. "He's right, that little snake bitch has no right to try and pin all of her problems on Pads." Peter says, trying to include himself into the conversation but only succeeding in spiking my anger. "You're truly one to talk, Pettigrew, don't think for a moment that I don't know what you're thinking about doing... or did you forget? I'm a Slytherin just like those little friends you've been making when you think nobody's watching. One can learn a lot about a person from what form they take, and I've got to say a rat could not be more fitting for the likes of you." I nearly snarl, my brother jumping at alarm at my implication but the other two dimwits have yet to realize.

"You've all been so busy spreading poison about Regulus and I, that you fail to spot the faults within your own ranks. You, Black, in particular have spent years trying to poison my brother against me. To make him feel the same as you felt for Regulus just because we happened to be sorted differently than the two of you... well it stops tonight. Get your things, Remus, we're leaving." Not a word is muttered between the remaining four of us as Remus makes his way up the stairs to gather his belongings, I'm carful not to open my mouth until I'm sure he's out of earshot. "If I have my way, and I'm sure I will, you'll not see Remus for the rest of the summer holidays. I'd recommend bidding him goodbye for a while when he returns, we're going to be needing all the hands we can get around the house just to get Regulus in the condition to return to school next term." Sirius's attention snaps to me at that, finally realizing just how bad off his little brother may be. "Let me go get some stuff, Reg needs me." Sirius says as Remus returns, looking at my brother for permission...

...but this is not a decision Remus has a hand in.

"No, he needed you a year ago when you abandoned him. You've done enough to put him in this position and I'll not have you making it worse than it already is- Let's go, Remus."

(Please leave me commentary or ask questions as needed, I've been working on the outline for this since last year and have a couple chapters drafted, I just need to know if it's worth putting anymore time into!)