No where but here

"Derek?" I called as I opened the big sheet door.
There were footsteps clomping down the stairs and then I saw his dark form walk closer to me.
"What are you doing here? It's late."
I didn't want to tell him why I was here, it was way too embarrassing, so I quickly came up with something to cover it up.
"I just got bored and no one else wanted to hang out with me so I picked you."
"I don't want to hang out with you."
"I don't really care. We are hanging out now."
"Well damn then. Okay."
I put a backpack down on the couch and sighed as I took a seat.
"So what do you wan to do?" He asked as he sat down on the other side of the couch.
"How about a movie?"
"Okay. Whatever is fine with me."
I stood up and walked over to a thin but tall shelf where he had a couple lines of movies stacked.
I scanned my eyes over the shelves and tried to decide what movie I would like to watch. I pulled one out after much deliberation and walked over to the tv. I popped the movie in and got to the starting screen when I looked back and didn't see Derek.
I furrowed my brows and bit my lip in contemplation of where he could have gone.
I wasn't distracted for that long I said to myself as I peered around some corners to see if I could find him. But it was no use. I couldn't find him.
"Derek? Where did you go?" I was looking up the stairs to see into the loft but I couldn't see anything.
"I'm right here." He said behind me. I turned and he was holding a big bowl. I walked over to him and looked in the bowl to see popcorn.
I gave him a look and he looked back at me defensively.
"What? We are watching a movie. You need popcorn."
"I guess that's fair."
He sat down and placed two water bottles in each of our sides of the table.
He picked up the remote and started the movie.
He picked up the bowl after he got comfortable and handed it to me.
"Thanks." I said a little too loud which startled me internally.
I picked my feet up off the ground and sat on the couch in a more comfortable position.

The movie had been playing for a little under an hour before Derek started to snore. He didn't snore too often, just when he was sleeping weird. I looked over and giggled a little bit. I took the blanket that was on my lap off and draped it over his body.
I knew he wasn't cold but I thought it would keep him nice and toasty. I have seen Derek asleep before, most of the time it was because I had over stayed my welcome till midnight or later and Derek had given up on looking after me. I think he was to the point where he couldn't care less how long I stayed.
Once or twice I ended up sleeping next to him because I didn't feel like driving home. It was never awkward in the morning, he was just always grumpy because it's "irresponsible". I laughed at the thoughts of the past as I saw him sleep soundly.
Derek shifted under the blanket and pulled it closer to his chin. He grumbled a bit when the blanket didn't cooperate with him but he soon fell back into peace.
I really wanted to cuddle him. Most days I wanted to cuddle him. We had a close relationship. Nothing was ever really awkward between us. We just said that if we did anything that crossed comfortable boundaries we'd be honest with each other. There was no harm. We have never cuddled before but tonight I really wanted it. Today had been a really bad day and I thought a little snuggle would make it better.
I crawled over to the other side of the couch where Derek was sleeping. He shifted onto his side, his back pressed up against the back of the couch. I slid in front of him and under the blanket. He moved when I got mostly situated and nuzzled his head into my hair.
"You smell good." He mumbled as he put one of his arms around my waist.
"Thank you." I chuckled.
"And you're so soft... and warm. We should cuddle more often."
I was surprised with what he was saying. Derek was not an open person, nor was he much of a mushy type guy, but I think the sleepiness was removing his filter a whole lot.
"We can cuddle more often if you want. I just had a bad day so I wanted some love."
Dereks eyes opened, now more conscious and aware.
"Is everything alright?" He asked still with a sleepy voice. He sat up and leaned over me, prolong himself with one arm by my head.
I shook my head, knowing I couldn't lie to him anymore.
"What happened? Anything I can do?"
"No, I just... I'm failing two classes and my parents and I got into it. Long story short, I got kicked out. I didn't know where to go so I came here. It's all I could think of."
Derek nodded. He laid back down into the position he was once in. He put his arm back around my waist and sighed into my neck.
"You can stay here as long as you want. I know you have a little bit of trouble with your parents. They did make a lot of rules since you're still living with them even into college. But you still need a place to stay and if it's not there, it's definitely here."
"Thank you Derek." I rubbed his forearm that was wrapped around my side
"It's no problem. And maybe I can help you study. Get those grades up."
"But then if have to move back home."
"So we are gonna help you fail all your classes now." He joked which made me laugh.
He put his face back into my shoulder and told me he was going to sleep.
"Okay, Goodnight." I said as I turned my face toward him. I kissed his forehead and turned back around to go to sleep.