Chapter six: The girl

Arriving back at the glade. Catching eyes with Chuck, who was waiting outside with another glader. Long story can be turned short by simply saying Gally called a keeper meeting without the other keepers.

Storming into the room, nearly crashing into Clint and Jeff which made me question in my head why they were there.

"Why did you call a keeper's meeting without us Gally?" I asked harshly, ignoring the look Newt gave me.

"To talk about what to do with Alby and Greenie" Gally responded. Making my hand clench into a fist before I took a deep breath and took the weird machine out of my pack.

"We found this is the body of the griever" I spoke, brushing past Gally and handing it to Newt.

"These are the same letters we get in our supplies" He spoke, rubbing his fingers over them.

"Whoever put us here also made the grievers. Now this is the first clue, first anything you've found in over 3 years" Thomas spoke, looking at Minho for clarification; who nodded.

"Newt we gotta go back out there. Who knows where this might lead us" Thomas continued, making eye contact with Newt.

Newt looked at me, then at Gally wanting both of our opinions in this matter.

"You see what's he doing right?" Gally spoke. "First he breaks our rules and now he's trying to convince us to abandon them totally- the rules are the only thing that has kept us together, why are we questioning that? If Alby was here, you know he would have agreed with me" He finished causing me to speak up.

"You really think Alby would push aside a chance for us to find a way out Gally? We've been looking for nearly four years, this at least gives us a reason for finding a way out. Bringing the Alby won't do anything, not when it comes to the maze." The power comes from my tone, telling him to challenge me.

"This shank should be punished" Gally spat out at me. Newt looked at the object in his hand, myself and then Gally before handing the object to Minho.

"You're right, Thomas broke the rules. One night in the pit no food, and tomorrow you'll be a runner" Newt spoke, myself nodding along with him ignoring Gally's shocked face.

Shoving past me, Gally went to exit the room.

"What, Gally, come on man" Frypan started, trying to grab a hold of him

"Nah Fry." He responded, going out of the room with Fry and the others as well.

"Minho, show Thomas the mapping room and explain please" I spoke, before those two left the room. They both nodded and soon it was just Newt and I.

I pulled him into a hug. In a way of saying I know what he was going through. Making decisions that everyone will like is hard. It doesn't help when you know someone won't agree.

Of course Alby was the main one incharge. I only was incharge of the maze, some of the questions I was asked a while back I still had to run by with Alby.

"Part of me wishes I could still go running in the maze" He mumbled into my neck. Nodding along to what he was saying, stocking his hair, trying to comfort him in some way. Before a thought came to my head making me laugh.

"It's still funny how you thought I was going to be the keeper of the runners" Both of us started laughing. I had made Newt the keeper of the runners, MOstly because I sometimes had to help Alby alot back then and I couldn't handle both a keeper and co-leader.

Newt and I... we ran in the maze together whenever we could. If I wasn't busy helping Alby. Of course this was before the accident...

"I love you!" Newt whispered, pulling me closer for a kiss. If this is his way of getting something off my mind. I love it. Or if this is a way to stop me from talking.. I'm okay with this. I may test this, see how long he will do it for.

Suddenly Clint came running in...

"The girl, she just woke up" He spoke quickly, gasping for breath at the same time.

Newt and I stood up from where we sat after the kiss we shared, running out the doors.

"Go away" The girl spoke from the lookout tower; where we saw the boys crowded around.

Running in that direction, nearly getting hit by a rock; Fry dragged me under the top of a crate just in time.

"Hey, we didn't ask for a rock war" I screamed up at her. She paused for a second processing my words. Before she continued. Thomas and Minho came running up towards the tower stopping by Chuck for a few seconds. Before running over to the rest of us.

"Hey, Throw another one of those things. I'll- Ow" Gally started saying... before getting hit on his forehead.

"Jez Gal, protect your forehead, it's like a bulleze" I giggled slightly. Only Newt and Gally heard causing a small smile at the least. Newt kissed my cheek.

"I don't think she likes us very much" He spoke, towards Thomas and Minho.

"What do you want from me?" The girl screamed down at us. "Hey, look we just want to talk" Thomas spoke, taking the lead. More rocks fell which caused Thomas to scream his name and was allowed up to talk to the girl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Gal, sweetheart, please stop pacing and looking at the tower. You're giving me a headache" I said, which caused him to sit down next to me.

Gally trusts me. I gather it's from the fact I helped him a lot when he first got here, however I feel like we knew each other before the glade. We have a friendship that we might as well call a sibling bond at this point. We can argue a lot, however if it comes to having to die to save the other we will.

Chuck soon came running over to us, sitting on my lap, making us look like a weird family. Myself being the mother, Newt on my right; the father, Chuck being our son and Gally looking like the overprotective uncle. However this felt normal. It is normal.

"Is everything going to change? Are we going to find a way out" Chuck asked quietly, looking up at me.

Making eye contact with Newt and Gally, who is the same as myself, did not know how to answer that question. The boys couldn't think of the right words to say, however something came to my mind.

"Chuck, I don't know for sure. If there is a way out, I promise you... you will leave with us. We can be a family out there as well and we can try to find your parents." I held him closer to

me. Into a more secure hug as if I was shielding him from the evil in the world.

Thomas and the girl went running towards the med-jack hut. Saying nothing I picked Chuck off my lap and put him on Gally's, ignoring his protests I grabbed Newt's hand and started jogging in that direction. Although let's be honest everyone has a soft spot for Chuck so Gally shut up pretty quickly when the young boy looked up at him.