Chapter three: Newt's side

Newt's POV

I just saw off Y/n, Minho and Alby off into the maze. A few hours later here I am hacking away at a tree taking the bark off it. Trying to answer Thomas's constant questions, that were really starting to piss me off.

"But why would Alby go into the maze? He's not a runner" Thomas asked. Sighing at him I turned to face him after making eye contact with Zart.

"Things are different now. Alby went with Y/n into the maze to retrace Ben's steps before sundown, but are you gonna help?" I spoke trying to ask if he was going to help so we can get him off that subject. However he ignored me.

"Ok, so they're just going to go back to the place where Ben was stung?" He pushed on. Looking at him also sending a gaze in Chuck's direction making sure he was ok with these questions, he's worried for Y/n. then again so am I.

"Alby knows what he's doing alright? And Y/n, well she knows the maze better than anyone." I said rubbing the back of my neck making sure I didn't cut myself with the machette.

"What does that mean?" This time I properly stopped and looked at him getting his full attention as well as Zart's.

"Alright, it's like you heard yeah? Every month the box sends up a new arrival. Someone had to be first right?" I paused for a second, gazing at Chuck for a second who lifted his head up stopping his carving while listening to what I was saying.

"Someone had to have spent a whole month here alone, that was Alby and Y/n was the first and only girl that came after him. She set foot in the maze first, Alby joined her for a few days every now and then before the next boy came, who ran with Y/n during the day. Months and months they learnt the truth and the most important thing... which is that we all have each other, because we are all in this together." I finished. Stared at Thomas for a few minutes trying to calm down.

Going back to hacking at the tree, Thomas soon joined in,giving him words of encouragement. Suddenly we heard a rumble. It then started to rain. Heavily.

Running hiding under the roof of the homestead staring at the maze doors waiting for them to walk out.

"They should be back by now!, What happens if they don't make it?" Thomas asked getting restless

"They're gonna make it" was all I said.

"What happens if they don't?"

"They're gonna make it" I said one final time looking at him sternly;telling him to stop going on.

If they don't make it... I don't know what I'll do. I'm in charge while Alby is gone, normally with Y/n. However I may have to do this on my own. Luckily Y/n knows her way in that death trap... wait Newt come on don't call it that. She- They are gonna make it.

Glancing over to Gally; only to see him looking at me. He's saying 'I know what you're feeling' with his eyes. Gally and Y/n have a sibling bond, they would do anything for the other. Nodding back into his direction both of us hoping that Y/n and Alby are ok.

The rain finally cleared up so we all gathered around outside the maze entrance.

"Come on guys" I heard someone whisper behind me. I didn't look or pay attention to them, I was too focused on trying to see them. Playing with my lips, hoping... praying they would make it out alive and well.

"Can't we send someone after them?" Thomas asked, for once I wish I could say we could.

"That's against the rules" Gally spoke for me. Making myself nod in appereation. I would have screwed the rules and gone to help them. Y/n is someone who I would help no matter what.

"Either they make it back or they don't" Gally finished from his hovering place on the ground.

"We can't risk losing anyone else." I said, looking at Thomas and Chuck who was close by placing my hand on his shoulder trying to calm him down. However he looked up to Y/n and saw her as an older sister or maybe a mother figure.

The doors started to slowly close. "There" Someone said, pointing out the three figures in the distance just a few meters away.

"Wait, something's wrong." I stated, looking at them as they got closer. Alby had each of his arms over Minho's and Y/n's shoulders, he wasn't moving.

"Come on Minho, Y/n, you can do it!" Chuck screamed, causing everyone else in the glade to start doing the same. Seeing how the doors were getting, we all changed what we were saying. Telling them to leave Alby and just run.

Minho fell, taking the other two down with him. Minho nodded at Y/n telling her to go. Shaking her head she nodded for Minho to do so but he didn't either.

"Y/n, Come on, you need to leave" I shouted alongside Gally. She looked up at me. Making direct eye contact looking as if she lost all hope. She mouthed something to me. I could only just catch it. 'I love you and I'm sorry'. I just stared at her in shock.

Turning towards Gally, she nodded and in return he nodded back looking as if he wasn't upset however by looking at Y/n you could see how heartbroken Gally must be.

The three of us were holding back tears, we didn't want to let them go in case the other gladers would start off.

She gave us both a look as if to say 'You better look after Chuck' Before I could say I love her too... Thomas ran in at the last second...closing a few seconds after him...

I can't believe I lost her... forever.