Chapter 25: The Original Heretic

1x01

[Adela and Elijah were in Russeau's]

Camille: So what brings you to the Big Easy?

Elijah: I used to live here.

Camille: Really, when?

Adela: Oh, it feels like a hundred years ago.

Camille: I just moved here myself. What brought you back?

Elijah: Well, my brother's here somewhere. I'm afraid he might have got himself into a bit of a bind.

Camille: You say that like it's a common occurrence.

Elijah: Well ... he's complicated. 

Adela: Defiant, ill-mannered, and a little temperamental. 

Elijah: See, we don't share the same father. Of course that never bothered me, but my brother resents it deeply. Never felt like he belongs. All told, he has a long history of getting himself into trouble.

Camille: And I'm guessing you have a long history of getting him out of it.

(Elijah nods smiling.)

Camille: What kind of bind is your brother in?

Adela: Uncle Nik believes there are people in this town that are conspiring against him.

Camille: Wow. Narcissistic and paranoid. (She shakes her head. Elijah observes her interest.) Sorry. Bartender with a grad degree in psychology. Total cliché.

(Elijah reads her nameplate.)

Elijah: Listen, Camille, I'm looking for someone who might shed some light on his current predicament. She works here, Jane-Anne Deveraux. Any idea where I might find her?

Camille: No. But I know someone who might.

(A street in New Orleans. It's dark, just some bright signs can be seen. A female tour guide talks to some tourists.)

Sabine: Welcome to New Orleans, and the crown jewel of the Crescent city, the French Quarter. Jazz and jambalaya, romance, poetry, not to mention the things that go bump in the night. Monsters that feed off human blood, vengeful spirits of the dead, and my personal favorite, the witches. Here we have the voodoo shop, Jardin Gris. Go on, browse for a hex.

(The tourists enter the shop while the tour guide stays outside, taking a few steps towards a person who is standing near the shop.)

Sabine: Are you going to continue following me, Elijah, Adela, or do you wanna talk?

Elijah: You know who we are.

Sabine: Original vampire, always wears a suit. (Elijah smiles.) The Original heretic aways in heels. (Adela smiles) You and your family are famous amongst the witches, especially with your... brother back in town.

Elijah: Well, Niklaus is here because he learned that a witch was conspiring against him. Someone by the name of Jane-Anne Deveraux.

Sabine: Well, if he's looking for Jane Anne, he's a little late.

Adela: Are you telling me she's dead?

Sabine: Come on, her sister Sophie's gonna want to talk to you.

There is a crowd of witches. They stand, kneel and crouch sadly around the body of their fallen friend, Jane-Anne. The body lies on the ground, obviously dead, with blood on its neck. There are some flowers and candles around the corpse. Sophie Deveraux sits near her sister, weeping silently. All of the witches look depressed.