Don't Be Too Obsessed With Your Goals

Setting goals is great. It keeps you moving, keeps you motivated. Kapag may na-achieve ka sa mga goals na sinet mo sa sarili, ang satisfying sa pakiramdam, parang feeling mo may kwenta kang tao. But focusing too much on it can do more harm than good.

For example, if you promised yourself to write a single chapter per day, sometimes when you are not in the mood, you tend to cheat, you tend to sacrifice the quality of your story, masabi mo lang sa sarili na nakapagsulat ka ng isang chapter sa isang araw, na nagawa mo pa rin ang goal mo sa sarili.

These are the moments when you lose sight of the reasons behind your goals.

Bakit mo ba pinangako sa sarili iyong goal na iyon? To improve as a writer ba? To affect more readers?

Do you really think you will improve if you focus too much on it?

No.

Okay lang kung masyadong specific ang goal na sinet mo sa sarili, but never forget to align it with your values. If you started writing because you find it enjoyable, then don't sacrifice it! Writing is supposed to be fun!

It's okay to sometimes break from your carefully planned out routine. Just don't wander too far from it. And you should always remember to come back. Okay? Okay.