Ch. 6: Playing Hero

The night went by and the next day came, but this morning didn't really prove to be a good one for Kim Seungmin. Standing in the middle of the hallway, his usual stone-hard and stone-cold wall had suddenly broken down infront of the girl he can't help but like.

"Look, I know you're doing these things to get my attention, but that's not really how it works, you know?" Juyeon tells him with an innocent tone, contrary to the spiteful look in her eyes after she had "accidentally" dropped her books by bumping into the unsuspecting Seungmin.

Boy, does she love to bully him! Other than Seungmin himself, Juyeon is the only one who know about Seungmin's crush on herself, and she loves to play him and embarrass him with the knowledge of that fact, knowing full well he can't go against her.

Other than Juyeon, Jinhee, the vice president of the music club and Seungmin and Chan's good friend, knows about it, too. And Seungmin is the one she was talking to Chan about yesterday afternoon. Chan's younger friend who gets bullied by Juyeon for having a crush on her.

Not that Seungmin was ever willing to be bullied by his crush, nor did he ever try to get her attention like she's accusing him for this morning. He didn't even mean to have a crush on her. But this must be his big weakness.

Unfortunately, his friends didn't know. He'd rather keep this all to himself. Not like they didn't know what Juyeon was really like (except Jisung, of course), but he knew better than to tell them. Because if he did, there's a high chance that Juyeon would keep hurting his pride a lot more by then than she's doing now.

"Can't you at least help me pick up my books, please?" Juyeon asks him while batting her eyelashes and Seungmin keeps his head down, not moving for a second before he bends down and starts picking up Juyeon's books on the floor.

Around him, students are watching him, snickering and judging him, ironically and hypocrytically believing in the female heartthrob's words as if they've never tried to grab the attention of the heartthrobs ever before in their lives. And they still do.

Suddenly, while Seungmin is stil picking Juyeon's books up, the girl kicks one right next to him, almost hitting him in the face with her foot and the book. Due to that, Seungmin falls back and drops the books he had already picked up, not making a sound at all as in the next second, he finds himself sitting on the floor, propped up by his arms behind his back and his eyes still on the ground as he tries to avoid people's gazes.

"Oh, hurry up, will you?! Classes are about to start and I don't wanna be late!" Juyeon tells him frustratedly as she kicks the book and Seungmin falls back.

The boy doesn't move. Instead, he feels himself getting weaker and fainter as he starts to feel tears forming in the back of his eyes. "No. Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry," he tells himself while keeping himself from crying. But he fails, and Juyeon scoffs as she notices a single quiet tear stream down his face.

"Are you crying?" she says sarcastically, and she kicks another book at him, this one hitting his face and making him fall to the floor. Students around them mock him with their laughs. "Oh, please. You brought this upon yourself. Why are you the one crying?"

Again, Seungmin doesn't speak as another tear falls from his eyes. He freezes when he hears Juyeon's footsteps getting closer to him, and he closes his eyes tight as gets ready to get hit again. Instead, however, he hears a foreign voice.

"Why are you asking him why he's crying when you're obviously bullying him?"

Seungmin's eyes open wide, then he looks up to see a girl standing before him in between him and Juyeon. It wasn't Juyeon who was getting closer to him. It was this girl. And as he tried to look at her face to see who she was, his eyes widen once he recognizes her. Jeon Y/N.