"How did you not hear two heartbeats under here?" Melanie asked, her voice muffled from her face now being in the crook of Liam's neck. "I saw you in your bed at home. Plus, I figured your scent was in here because you give and Liam give each other hoodies." Scott reasoned and Melanie chuckled. "That was Belle in my bed."

Scott rolled his eyes, figuring he'd reprimand Melanie later about sleeping over. "You two are going to be late to school. So come on, let's go." Liam pulled the sheets off of him and Melanie to glare at Scott. "I don't think I should go to school. Or outside. Or anywhere. Ever again." Liam rambled before he leaned back down and pulled them covers back over him and Mel.

"It doesn't matter what you think, okay? Because you gotta go. Now all you do is pretend like nothing happened." Scott said and Liam shot back up again, making Melanie groan. She was cold and didn't want to be in the bright light yet.

"Pretend? I'm just supposed to pretend?" Liam yelled and Scott sighed, realizing his choice of words were not the greatest. Scott walked towards the head of the bed on Liam's side, kneeling down. "Think of it like when Superman gets caught with his glasses off. You know, he doesn't give up. He puts them back on and says, 'I'm still Clark Kent.'"

Liam's face scrunched at Scott's words. He stared off ahead of him for a second. Melanie sat up on her elbows and turned to Liam, not knowing what was taking him so long to answer. Finally, he turned to Scott. "You want me to wear glasses?"

Melanie groaned, falling back on the bed as Scott sighed, shaking his head. "No! I want you to go to school, okay?" He said as he walked back towards the foot of the bed. Scott grabbed Melanie and Liams feet, pulling them off the bed. Melanie turned around and reached up, trying to grab the headboard so Scott wouldn't pull her off the bed, but she was too slow.

Mel and Liam fell to the floor with grunts as Scott smiled down at them. "And be Liam Dunbar and Melanie Yukimura. Just like how Superman has to be Clark Kent, like Spider-Man, and Captain America-"

"Captain America is just Steve Rogers. He doesn't have to pretend. Everyone already loves him. Unlike us, who everyone hates. They hate us for trying to save their lives." Liam interrupted and Scott smiled, pointing at Liam before squatting again down to the two seniors. "You're right. We are trying to save lives. Which is why you're gonna get up and go to school and pretend like nothing happened. Because if you don't, more people could die."

Melanie turned to look down at her wrist. She, without thinking, stretched her hair tie that was on her right wrist and let it go, letting it snap back and sting her arm. Melanie's eyes twitched at the feeling. She hadn't done it in a while.

Liam, hearing the wristband, turned to Melanie and grabbed her hand, interlocking their fingers. He gave her hand a squeeze as Scott frowned. I didn't really know Brett or Lori. Well, not like you two did. But I know you guys. And if you're afraid of seeing more of your friends die, you'll go."

...

Melanie and Liam slowly walked into the school, all eyes immediately going on them. Melanie, keeping her eyes ahead, grabbed Liam's hand and gave it a squeeze.

Liam took a deep breath before walking down the hall towards his locker.

Melanie heard someone come up behind Liam and saw Mason. The boy gave Liam a smile, walking with them. "This might be easier than we thought." Mason said as they reached Liam's locker. Liam put in his locker combination and opened his locker.

"Maybe." He grumbled as he took stuff out of his backpack and then threw stuff in. Melanie watched as Liam suddenly stopped filling his backpack. She looked up to his face and saw that he had tilted his head, listening to surrounding conversations.